Kaspersky 2006/Kis 2006 beta1 released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Don Pelotas, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, in fact you can deselect the different modules during the install.:)

2. GoD

GoD Registered Member

Why do u need a lite version when u can have an all in one package that uses 10mb of ur ram only ! and it works fluently you should give it a chance just to try it out... and yeah as don said it can be disabled :)

less softwares = less bloated pc :D

Good luck :)

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I agree with the less software = less bloated pc, though do you trust the registry protection from KAV 2006 beta enough to disable and turn off regdefend? Now that is the question.

dja2k

4. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Thanks, Don! That is good to hear.

I don't...that's why I prefaced the second part of the question with "if not". ;) I just prefer using software that specializes in a specific task.

Precisely why I would keep PG and RegDefend, and only install AV related modules when I upgrade to KAV 2006. That way each software is doing what it specializes in.:) BTW, RegDefend and PG are very light on resources.

5. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Been playing with KIS2006 (for the first time) for a couple of hours this evening. All I can say is "WOW"

I find hard to believe that there is so much protection available for around 10MB RAM usage.

6. isnogood

isnogood Registered Member

I noticed 2 negative things after install of this beta.
    First, a serious slowdown during windows startup, as well as longer loading of different programs (ex. firefox).
    Second, a strange alert which I consider as false positive, concerning explorer.exe.
    Each time I launch any application, KAV warns me about "Invader" riskware, or unknown virus trying to inject itself into that application.
    I encounter this on two different systems. Both have been protected by PG from the beginning, and explorer.exe was always protected from modification, so I don't believe it is a real threat. I just don't know what's the origin of this alert. KAV5 has never noticed anything, and the system does not look compromised. Does anybody else have seen this kind of message ? I run KAV along with PG, RegDefend and Tiny firewall.

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I run KAV 2006 along side the same apps as you and I have had no problem. Serious slowdowns; I thought my system was running a bit faster and more smooth than with KAV 5. I haven't gotten any of the popups you mention, nothing of a kind except a virus mailer message from RegDefend update which was false. All the other popups I always see are registry allow or block messages. I don't get how others say they have problems with the proactive module when mine is running just fine.

dja2k

8. isnogood

Strange,

The same "Invader" was also just detected at startup in the ATI control panel, and in the mailwasher, but only when it started to process mail, ie. it launched my mail client. I start to think that it concerns process spawning in some sort, but it's surely not the only reason. Perhaps I will try to do a clean system install (Win2K by the way), and try KAV2006 upon this.
    About slowdowns - it's OK now, I have the impression that it was just the first time, as it has to build its NTFS streams to the applications scanned at startup and execution. I have also checked the "high" security profile.
    So my only question mark remains this false? positive.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Isnogood

I have also seen the slow down at windows startup you are talking about. Once up and running the beta is fast. The slow down started when they fixed something between build 217 and 218.

I hope you go to the kaspersky forum under beta testing and report this. So far I've been the only one.

Pete

10. Don Pelotas

I don't see this "Invader" alerts, but i use XP, so maybe you should register at kaspersky forum and participate in the development.

It's iSwift now btw, not NTFS streams and they are in a database FIDBOX in windows folder instead of utilizing streams.:)

11. Don Pelotas

Hi Pete

I also have reported this slowdown, it is known issue and in fact i have to wait until the startup scan is finished and then the speed is there as you also see with your system.:)

12. Peter2150

Hi Don

I am not sure it is related to the startup scan. If you select the only check new and changed that should be pretty quick. My normal startup time is 55 seconds, but with KAV2006 it takes almost 3 minutes. If I turn off File antivirus it goes back to normal. I may try disabling startup scan, if I can, and see if that makes a difference.

Pete

13. isnogood

Thank you guys,
    I will report both my issues at KAV forum. But the fact that I am the only one with this "invader" riskware starts to bother me a little more o_O Still hope it's not a real threat.

14. Peter2150

Hi Don

Just did a quick test. Startup scan off and FIle antivirus on. Boot time 3 minutes. It isn't the startup scan as such. There is some problem in the File Antivirus module.

Pete

15. Don Pelotas

Hi Pete

Could be, i haven't done any real tests on this, i just know that if i use the pc before the startup scan is done which is about 2-3 minutes on my pc, it freezes, but i just power it up 5 minutes before needing it and then it's ok.:)

Btw. The startup doens't take any longer than with 5.0 on my pc, it's just the connection which needs a tweak.

16. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I did fix my startup delay problem by disabling startup scan.

But there's another issue, more important for me: the file antivirus does nearly prevent any big folder opening :doubt: : try to explore a cd with multiples files....the computer hangs for a long time. Not pleasant :doubt: . Anybody does have the same issue?

17. Peter2150

I didn't see this with 5.0 or any 2006 build prior to Build 218.

Had I seen this with 5.0, I'd have never purchased KAV. 5.0 and all 2006 builds 217 and below were very similiar in start up time.

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

On a number of machines, I have not seen any slowdown in bootup times with any of the (pre) beta builds :p :D :blink: :D

19. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I made the mistake of not removing the NTFS KAV streams when I uninstalled KAV 5 thinking that KAV 2006 used them too. Should I remove KAV 2006, install KAV 5 and remove it along with the streams, and then re-install KAV 2006. Or it doesn't matter if the KAV streams from version 5 stay in my system?

dja2k

20. Don Pelotas

Don't worry Kav 2006 will remove them for you on your first on-demand scan.:)

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Are you sure about that cause rootkit revealer still finds some files with the KAVCS on them?

dja2k

22. Don Pelotas

Yes, i'm sure, i have made this procedure quite a few times, when i remove 5.0 i usually do it in safemode (best successrate in removing the ADS), in my case 1-5 is remaining (sometimes none), but they are always gone after installing 2006. Of course 2006 is still beta so you may see a different scenario. :)

23. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I still stand by my earlier comment but I am experiencing high CPU utilisation - around 90-94 % !! I will report this but I'm sure something this serious will be sorted in no time. Anyone experiencing the same? The weird thing about it is that it doesn't seem to be affecting the performance of my PC even though CPU is constantly at the 90+ % mark.

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Are you running any other software, for example SafeNSec, that may overlap with the ProActive Defense module of KAV?

25. JohnH

JohnH Registered Member

Kaspersky Forum

Is the forum down today, or is just my computer..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.