Kasperky's Activation system SUCKS!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Do you mind if I ask why you do this?

Maybe you should be like me and absolutely never ever do a reimage or reinstall of Windows, and you wouldn't face the problem. Any computer problems I experience, or if I get infected I take the time to diagnose and fix the issues myself. Restoring from an image or doing a clean install, even just once a year is way too often for me...

It's a shame Kaspersky took so long to get back to you. But, I can understand the key being blacklisted after installing it so many times as I can't really see a situation where someone would need to activate it so many times.

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

They should still issue them per individual request because they support PCs without an internet connection. If you tell them you want to activate an offline PC they will oblige.

3. waters

waters Registered Member

Well i waited weeks ,never got a reply that helped me ,and in the end i got a new key by sending all the support details to where i bought the thing

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I am undecided on this situation. restoring to a state without kaspersky installed just to update drivers seem very excessive. on the other hand I don't see why you have a problem restoring an image if you have a problem. the only way to ensure you are not infected is to do a clean install or restore a clean image and restore a clean mbr.

I think that if you are reinstalling the software on the same machine why should the key be blacklisted?

btw my friend got his key blacklisted by installed a one user license on two machines and he then removed the license fro the first machine and got the key reactivated the next day. the support was from kaspersky UK.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I only activated kaspersky the once and then i created an image.So if i used something else and decided to go back to kaspersky then it was simply a case of restoring the image.
    I really dont understand why it had to be activated 17 times.:eek: :eek:
    Ive never had a problem with the company and its the only suite ive actually ever purchased.Here in england it only cost me £19 which was an absolute bargain for what it is.:argh:

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

19 GBP is a bargain? hmm, that's twice of what I paid but anyway.

You see guys, I am a perfectionist, I install windows, configure all my folder libraries and settings, do all the windows updates, then take my image using Acronis True Image. Then I install all my drivers, then install all the software.

now when there has been a series of updated drivers (for example, Intel chipset drivers + Intel Rapid Storage Technology + nVIDIA Drivers + Audio Drivers) which happens quite a lot these days, I don't like to uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones because back in 2000 on Win 98 SE, that would only leave you with driver issues or degraded performance, so I have this idea stuck in my head and I don't trust uninstallers such as Revo which have demolished my system in the past

That is why, I restore to an image of a clean Windows installation

I can install Kaspersky Antivirus then take the image but I think this paractice by Kaspersky themselves is just wrong. I am not misusing it, it is 1 computer, same specs, same name, everything

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Yes it was a bargain.
    Its nearly £50 for norton.:eek:

8. roger_m

There is no need to install old drivers - just run the installer for the new driver and it will replace the existing driver.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. fax

fax Registered Member

:D lol

10. berryracer

seriously?? :rolleyes:

11. roger_m

Yes. There are some rare cases where an old driver or some software installed along with the driver needs to be uninstalled first e.g. Realtek audio drivers, and some network drivers. However in such cases, either the installer will uninstall the old driver and install the new driver after a reboot, or you will told you need to uninstall the software via Add/Remove Programs before you can install the new driver.

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this is why i said you should install everything WITHOUT any updates or any drivers etc just windows and kaspersky. nothing else. this way when you restore you can then add whatever driver and whatever updates you want meanwhile kaspersky is still installed and activated. i hate to admit but im way to picky with my systems as well and i reinstall all the time but i use a base image. i have many, one is just windows nothing else, one is windows with drivers and no update, one is windows with drivers and all current updates, then one with office, one is windows with eset, one with wsa, etc etc i have a 1tb drive solely for this purpose so any configuration i want to back to i can, all of my personal systems i do this for its time consuming at first but then i can literally go to whatever av i want as a fresh install. i know its a pain to set up but i want to try to have all clean images.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I don't use Kaspersky but I suspect that about 99.99% of their "liveyourlifebefree" users won't run into activation issues because they'll just need to install the software once and move on. Remember, liveyourlifebefree ;)

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Ever heard of Driver Sweeper, Treexy's Driver Fusion, etc.?

Use those. They do a good job, and it will save you from reformatting just to update the drivers.....

15. berryracer

thanks a lot bro..i will check them out

16. roger_m

Perhaps I am missing something, but I thought the only reason to use those program is if you have changed your graphics card, e.g. switched form Nvidia to ATI, so that you can completely remove the driver and all components for the video card you no longer have in your PC. I even purchased Driver Sweeper a few years back when I put my hard drive with an existing Windows install into a new laptop which had a different video card to the old one. But only did so because the new laptop had a different video card to the old laptop. (I did a repair install of XP on the new PC so make Windows work with completely different hardware to the old PC.)

I go years between doing clean installs or restoring from images for my Windows installs, and am continually updating drivers - but I have never felt the need for software like these ones when updating existing drivers to new versions.

17. Firecat

These are just precautionary tools to remove traces of older drivers - with some companies, the driver files' names change between versions (for example, nForce chipsets, various 3rd party USB 3.0 drivers, mouse drivers, etc.). In such cases, conflicts occur since registry entries as well as backup files for the old driver file names may still be present.

These days the need for this is far less - companies like Intel and NVIDIA make it such that it is unnecessary.

18. roger_m

Thanks for the information Firecat.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, NVIDIA... The one which makes your brand new Radeon run like crap after the last GeForce unless you clean all the crap from your system...

20. berryracer

I am using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 now but just for whoever is interested this is the 4th day now and still no answer! lovely heh? one of the biggest security companies in the world with 0 customer service I would rate it

21. roger_m

Your situation is unfortunate, but also, far from typical. I'm sure there are only very few people who reimage as often as you do.

I'm a great believer in never reimaging or reinstalling Windows.

22. berryracer

you're absolutely right.

i will stop this from now on and will only restore an image if my laptop is seriously not working not just for a driver update

23. Firecat

If you're changing vendors altogether, it's always a good idea to clean up all leftover driver remnants. My post referred to why it may be necessary even when you just need to update drivers :)

24. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

When cleaning up old drivers, always make sure to go to device manager and hit "View/ Hidden devices". You can find some surprises in there. And, if you do find an old entry in there, do not uninstall it from device manager. I learned this the hard way with some stubborn drivers in there. Go to the folder the driver is located in and delete it from there. Too many times I've tried the "proper" method only to find the service/driver still alive and well after a reboot.

25. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Regardless of what people have said before me,

i agree that i reserve the right to install/re-install a product any number of times,
    as long as it is within the subscription period and i am not activating one license on multiple computers.

arguing about why imaging/restoring is not a good idea deviates from the real issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.