Karen's Replicator v3.5.9

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ronjor, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

KarenWare

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

You mean that some cultures start the week other than Sunday? I guess Monday would be a logical choice. o_O

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Here in my country we start on Monday...

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Wow nice litle app. This will save me a lot of time. Didnt know about "Replicator". Thx

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, I use it to backup my personal files. It saves time, because it only backups the changes and is pretty fast too, almost the speed of ShadowProtect.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I thought this program might look interesting. It took 27 minutes to "copy" my data from one of my machines to an external USB. SP could do the job in a few minutes. main concern though was that is (a) failed to copy one small database file and (2) didn't directly report any errors.
    Beyond Compare did however confirm that the other 51682 files were the same.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Fragmentation, type and size of files?
    KR does not copy files locked by the OS (i.e files in use). It doesn't have "hot-imaging" technologies.
    There are tons of file sync apps: SyncBack (free and paid), SyncToy (MS Powertoy), Second Copy (paid), ViceVersa (free and paid), etc.

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Essential part of a backup armory.
    Tried most and KR.seems the simplest,faster than most and at least as reliable.Never had an error to my knowledge.
    Once the initial full backup is made,the incrementals are very fast and sector based,just press a button.
    Problems are the scheduling doesnt work for me and of course the GUI can be confusing initially.

9. Long View

defragmented every day, multiple file types and sizes, total size of data 7 gb.
    time taken with SP 7 mins 18 seconds ( it is a very old pc with slow drives).

I know that I could use incremental scheduled backups but I prefer full backups.
    My main concern was that a file was ignore - thanks for the explanation.

10. lucas1985

So, it was a file in-use?

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

i guess so,KR is a simple replicator,it has no snapshot capabilities.:oops:

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I see on Karen's website that it is recommended to uninstall the old version of a power tool first before installing a new one.

Does this mean I will have to set it all up again with my jobs, or is there some way around this?

13. Long View

Yes - The file type is Microsoft Office Access Record-Locking Information. It only works when a Program called Web Research Professional is running.

14. lucas1985

Thanks Long View :)
    FYI, the new version of Cobian Backup (currently a beta) supports VSS:
    Give it a try.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's odd. If you try to uninstall Replicator, it tells you it's not necessary if installing a newer version.
    In this case, I would think it is fine to install over the older version.

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

a BIT OT i guess ! ;)

17. lucas1985

18. Long View

A bit OT perhaps but useful nonetheless. Same data took 19 minutes with Cobian Backup 9 compared to 27 for Karen. Also the problem file copied no problem. Still a lot slower than SP but not a bad idea to have data backup as files say once a month ?

Also I did like the way that both Karen and Cobian loaded and ran with Returnil in protected mode. No need to have more programs than necessary loaded all the time.

19. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I had a look at the program the other day and it seemed to me that it only allowed to copy all files in a directory (optional incl. subdirectory) to another destination, ie one source to one destination. When I do backup over a network, I don't want to copy everything but prefer to select various files or drives scattered on various sources to a destination. In cobian I can do so without setting up individual tasks for that - it appeared to me that with Karen I had to set up dozens of tasks to accomplish the same. Am I mistaken? Could not find any decent help file or forum either.

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I vaguely remember that i used CobianBackup some years ago,it just cluttered my system,did'nt work out the way it should,but how and why i just forgot.

KR is fast enough for me needs but admit its not an hot imaging thingy like CB.
    Erik Albert did some speed tests with SP and KR and he came to a somewhat different conclusion ?!From earlier posts i remember that they were almost equal,as SP was a litle faster though. [see also post 5 in the thread]

21. ErikAlbert

I always install a new version of KR over an older version in order to keep the old configuration and created jobs.

That's one the advantages of a FDISR-user, he always can rollback to a previous state, when something goes wrong with installing or uninstalling softwares.
    Another user has that advantage too, but then he has to backup and restore Images and that is usually much slower and less convenient. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  22. Long View

Yes but that is only because Erik is using KR to ONLY backup any changes. I don't see how KR could even begin to compete with SP or Acronis for speed on a full backup v full image basis. It's a matter of personal choice of course but for a number of reasons I only do full images or backups.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It can't. It's free though and very handy for what it was designed to do.

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

NO,in his compare he did full backups and i remember he was utterly supprised that KR keep up with SP.

25. ErikAlbert

Correct. Those posts are still there, but I'm not going to search for them. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.