Kapersky Anti Hacker Or Not????

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Anniel, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

When I bought Iolo System mechanic, both Kapersky AV and the Anti Hacker firewall were included in the price.

I found out that the AV was an old version and with the help of the Kapersky labs forum, I managed to get the up to date version installed ( I have to say with regard to Kapersky Products that forum is very good and helpful)

I have come here because now I find that my Anti Hacker is also out of date and should be updated. Before I do this job, i have noticed that I get no alerts from the firewall, and the log remains empty...one could say that is because the firewall is doing its job.

My question to you on this forum as unbiased firewall experts, is whether I should stick with Kapersky Anti Hacker, or whether there is a better option that would sit comfortably with my Kapersky AV, which is easy for me to understand and use.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I tried KAH at the 1.5 version level. Although it was decidedly lightweight at that time, you have to ask yourself what level of control do you need? For a NAT routered system, simple outbound application-based communication control is probably the most rationale level of coverage. I view even this as an optional layer. It should work fine in this task for virtually all hoem users.

The current version level seems to be 1.7.130.

Blue

3. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

Husband and I are connected to the internet via our ADSL modem and a Netgear router...we tried wireless but it was not working well, so use the router to plug into directly. It is a Netgear WRG 614.

Would that protect us in conjunction with the Anti Hacker?

4. TylerGred

TylerGred Registered Member

Yes it would protect you as far as I know (not a user of Anti-Hacker), but if anti-hacker monitors your outgoing connections then it should be fine. The nice thing about routers is that when you use one, your router is the "machine" exposed to the internet, not your PC. Be sure you just forward the necessary ports for programs in the router settings, and NOT let your entire PC in the routers DMZ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.