K++ sharing files even when sharing turnde off - firewall help needed!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ChrisP, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I use Kazaa Lite (K++) and always run it with sharing disabled, however, I noticed today that even after a reboot I could not remove a file I has downloaded from the "Shared" directory - as K++ was using it! Im assuming this is because the file was in fact being shared. I have never come accross this problem before - as normally I have my BlackICE set to paranoid which I guess has protected me in the past - but on this occasion it was set to trusting (as I was using video chat on Messenger) and on this setting it only hides ports with services on and other ports if it detects a hack attempt - so file sharing via K++ (since it would be solocited traffic) would not be blocked. My question is.... What manual configurations do I need to make to BlackICE to ensure that no matter what setting I have BI on, that it will never allow any file to be shared via K++ - whilst allowing me to still download other users files? I would also welcome feedback from Look'n'Stop & Tiny users if they have specific answers how to configure their firewalls in this way.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey ChrisP

Try cleaning Kazaa of it’s completes, try again.
    If it still persists try closing Kazaa up to see if this fixes the situation.

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Move your files out of your shared file if you dont want them uploaded. That is true in windows as well. Watch what you leave in shared folders.

-HandsOff

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi ChrisP

In the BI configuration or firewall.ini file can you create a rule to block the inbound connections for the ports used?

The same would apply to these rule based firewalls. You would allow the outbound, but block the inbound if you do not want to share what is on your system.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

It’s not that easy CrazyM, many file-shares these days uses Passive Mode, so you could very well be crippling your downloading performance on these p2p Shares. Another thing is number of p2p Shares requires you to sharing just to be capable of downloading, and more you shared, faster you can download like Kazaa for instance…

Besides, I know for a fact there is a Win2K/Win-XP bug that prevents you from deleting, renaming, moving files under certain conditions and you don’t need to be running a single p2p share program for this to be occurring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.