K-meleon . . . it's baaaack!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php

2. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Was always a big fan of K-Meleon, glad to see its back in development by a great dedicated team.

3. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Its not being developed by a dedicated team. Its just one dude doing most of the coding (with maybe some help from other members of its forums).

4. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Kinda what I meant, although I would disagree with "some help from members". I think a few of them have been instrumental in its development having been there since its first version...I just wish it supported more FF addons..Not long after Wladimir finally ported Adblock Plus for K-Meleon 1.54 the development stopped...I hope some of K-Meleons gifted coders will port more of the xmi files for it :)

5. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

If they can get Lastpass, HTTPS everywhere, Magic Actions, and uBlock on it, then it's viable. Otherwise, no can do. :mad:

7. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

You can try those extensions on it by adding the kmeleon.install_firefox_extension as a boolean value and set it to true. Also, the Final Release of it (barring any quick fixes) has been packaged onto its server. You can get it by going to http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/files/K-Meleon74.exe. The changes are that the issues of it loading the wrong page when going back via the menu and K-Meleon giving the wrong locale to a website have been fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

This is exciting to see them back.. So far it's extremely fast, and smooth. Now about those extensions? :thumb:

I created a boolean, set it to true, but it still won't install Firefox addons. Any tips? Without those I am dead in the water.

9. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Oh, there's more entries needed:

services.sync.addons.trustedSourceHostnames: addons.mozilla.org (String)
    xpinstall.whitelist.add: addons.mozilla.org (String)
    xpinstall.enabled: true (Boolean)

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just installed it. I used it several years ago as my primary browser and wanted to try it again.

I like that it is highly configurable, and that I was able to configure it to open any URLs I enter in the address bar in a new tab, and to open all new tabs to the right of current tab rather than at the end. Also I like that that I could set it make the tab to the left of the one I'm closing the current tab - the fact that The World sometimes goes to the tab on the right annoys me. The apparant lack of support of addons is not an issue for me since I prefer not to use them anyway.

What I don't like about it, is that it does not use seperate processes for every tab. As a result I'm going to uninstall it now and stick to using The World as my only browser. Having a seperate process for every tab makes a browser more stable, but if you don't need this than the new K-Melon is worth looking at.

11. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

I have never used it before.
    I might try it. :thumb:

Is there a portable package without installer for the latest development release for me to try?

12. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I tried this on my laptop. I like the new smaller interface, however when I selected other GUI skin options I couldn't revert to the new one. I uninstalled it but I think this could be a viable browser with a bit more development. I always liked it a lot.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I D/L the Portable Version. Always kinda liked K-Melon as a fast alternative browser.

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm using Kmel74 portable. ZZZZzzippy!

16. guest

guest Guest

Tried the portable version and it still seems to be a beta in parts of it.
    The FAQ-page seems badly outdated and is no real help.

Privacy Toolbar/User Agent: right click - nothing happens.
    Quite a few url's don't work with that K-M user agent.

Favicons, got half a dozen out of several hundred links.

Will check back next version.
    Till then Palemoon is my choice.

17. @bellgamin
    Replaced Chrome for K-Meleon in XP mode, indeed loads fast.

@Zero3K
    Thanks, despite the warning it would break program I installed adblock edge :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  18. bellgamin

I'm running final version of Kmel 74, portable. NO problems. Fast. Feather light on cpu.

(A bit OT) The "next-fastest" browser I have found is Qupzilla.(WebKit-based).

Always looking for a faster/lighter browser to run on my XP box. Any & all SUGGESTIONS will be greatly appreciated!

19. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Why am I being prompted to download a newer version of K-Meleon even though I am using K-Meleon 74 (27/09/2014) Portable?

Edit: The same thing happens with the installed version.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Hide Toolbar Lines is greyed out.

Can Adblock be installed?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  21. bellgamin

Same thing happened to me. It's a glitch. Suggest you report it at the K-mel forum. (I'm in Hawaii. Bedtime for me.)

22. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

In order to work you will have to place a macro file (useragent.kmm) in your "macros" folder and an UserAgent.js file in K-Meleon\browser\defaults\preferences folder.
    If you would sniff the headers you would see why. The server doesn't send the location for retrieving the favicon. However you can configure K-Meleon to grab the favicon the way some other browsers do.Type into the URL-bar "about:config" and search for: browser.chrome.faviconsSet it from "false" to "true"
    Such statements are not useful. You should name the URLs which don't work.K-Meleon has a home and a forum with nice people. That's the place questions and problems should be addressed. That's also the place you can grab the UserAgent.kmm and UserAgent.js, just in case you are interested in them.I didn't register here to play the K-Meleon nani :)Greets!

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I quickly checked it out, nice to see a browser with that many configuration options. But because of the Gecko engine, it's just as slow to start up as FF on my old machine, so no keeper. ;)

24. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

Are you sure? It's not greyed out for me: Menu\View\Toolbars

Extensions for K-Meleon 74: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/km74/
    AdBlock+Mod is listed there too. For more detailed informations you better ask in their forums.

25. bellgamin

A bit slow to start, yes. But faster than greased lightning in loading websites. Overall -- with regard to slow starting, factored by fassst website loads -- it's my fastest browser by far. Qupzilla & QtWeb come close, but Kmel is fastest by a hare's hair. Shazam!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.