K-Meleon Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikanthpromod, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

KM is its own class. It uses the gecko engine, but doesn't use XUL (as does FF). It does support some extensions like adblock, but I wouldn't say it's a clone or rip-off of FF simply because it's fairly different in many ways.

I like KM, I just wish they would release more often with at least a gecko update. I gave up on it when FF was using gecko 1.9 and KM was using 1.8.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Never heard of it.
    I did find a review of it and Cometbird is supposed to have a "quick startup".
    That in itself might be enough enticement for me to check it out.

http://welloiledpc.com/cometbird.htm

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Your close. Firefox used to be called Firebird. It was originally a very light "unzip and use" browser, under 5MB. I still have a copy of it, version 0.7. Mozilla was a browser suite, and still is, but now it's called SeaMonkey.

There's a lot more to browser security than the version of the rendering engine. No matter how often a browser is updated, it will always have vulnerabilities. Your browser has undiscovered and unpatched vulnerabilities right now, no matter what browser it is. The browser is part of the attack surface. It is exposed to attack and it will be attacked, sometimes successfully. Accept it and design your security policy with that in mind. Isolate it and the rest of the attack surface from your system. Restrict its access to only what it needs and limit what it can execute. Filter unwanted content before it reaches the browser. Block unknowns from executing. There's lots of ways to mitigate the risk.

I use both K-Meleon and SeaMonkey. They are nowhere near the same, even though they use the same base rendering engine. Regardless of what browser I use, I configure them to connect through Proxomitron. A substantial amount of what Proxomitron can do is built into K-Meleon, like changing user agents, killing flash, etc. Yes, other browsers have extensions available for them that do these things. K-Meleon has many of these abilities built in. Browser extensions can introduce vulnerabilities of their own.

One of the features of K-Meleon that I really like is the privacy bar. Many types of content can be toggled, such as javascript and flash. Individual items like cookies and the browser cache can be cleared with one click or a single click can clear everything. Overall, I find K-Meleon to be a fast, light and very flexible browser.

4. Santos_L_Halper

Santos_L_Halper Registered Member

I started using Firefox when it was known as Phoenix 0.2 (Santa Cruz). I've been using Firefox as my primary browser ever since. The Phoenix 0.2 interface was much more similar to K-Meleon.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I started with Phoenix 0.5. Was very light and fast at that time....

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I miss Phoenix *sighs heavily in remembrance of days gone by*

7. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Is there any addons site for K Meleon??
    Like Mozilla addons??

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Look to K-meleons forums for this answer. I believe they now have a sub-forum devoted to just this issue.

Sul.

9. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Attached Files:

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

170, 201, 218, 303 and (within reason) 126kb's .... we've got users on dialup. Drop the screenies here - leave a link!

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Sorry, didn't know of this, thanks for letting me know.

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

GF, I didn't know this either and usually post large screenshots under 200kb. Thanks for posting the link.

13. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey, no harm as the mods doctor anything offensive - merely another consideration to be mindful of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.