K-Meleon Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikanthpromod, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Any 1 tried Kmeleon browser??
    Is that a good browser??Any problems??
    Its very light in my system. Also fast .

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Long time devotee here of K-mel.
    It's a tweaker's delight in that it allows for all sorts of menu, toolbar customization.
    K-Mel (aka: the little green lizard) is not for everyone, but it has a loyal following.
    Do check out their forum (to see feedback positive and negative):http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/
    K-mel's toolbar customization is very cool. Just make sure that once you get things situated just the way you like, you "lock toolbars" (to prevent accidently screwing things up).
    Also check out the "privacy bar".
    See at a glance whether cookies, java, etc are enabled. Change acceptance policy with a click.

3. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

isnt it a firefox clone or something like that?

personally i stick to what i know, IE8 at the moment :)

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

How on earth do you ever learn anything new is you never try to go beyond your comfort zone?

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Uses the same Mozilla / Gecko rendering engine as Firefox.
    Whatever you're most comfortable with is fine.

6. PC__Gamer

why do i want to learn about a firefox clone when there is ... erm, Firefox.

runs like firefox, customizes like firefox, heck... even updates as often as firefox.

you may want to try different things, but me, i stick to what i know. :D

K-Meleon is probably a fine browser, but its not for me. :)

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

k-meleon is not a Firedox clone. As pointed out above it uses the (older version of) Gecko engine, and this is where all the similarity ends.

You should really try a software before making false claims. I don't find the two remotely similar.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Nonsense! K-mel does NOT run like Firefox NOR customize like Firefox NOR update like Firefox. K-mel merely uses the Gecko engine that is used by Firefox, as well as by Orca, Camino, Flock, SeaMonkey, Netscape 9, Lunascape, etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K-mel is less resouce intensive AND speedier than FF for reasons including but not limited to:

(1) K-Mel uses native Windows API to create the user interface (whereas FF uses Mozilla's cross-platform XUL layer). Consequently, K-mel is more tightly/compactly integrated into the Windows OS than is FF.

(2) K-mel uses fewer dll and xpt in components folder than FF

(3) K-mel carries much less baggage than is usually the case with FF in terms of extensions, plug-ins, etc.

NOTE 1: Factor #3 makes K-mel speedier, but may constitute either a plus OR a minus, depending on the specific bells & whistles a given individual wants in his or her browser.

NOTE 2: Rumors claim FF's Namoroka (ver 3.6) will be the speediest FF yet. The portable ver. 3.6 (beta 5 at this precise moment) should be even faster.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conclusions: In my opinion, K-mel & FF are both excellent browsers. They are, however, two quite different animals, each having its own unique ad's & disad's. Therefore, alice-in-noobie-land-comments that FF & K-mel are the same are grossly erroneous. But... each to his/her own tastes (as the lady said when she kissed the cow).:cautious: :shifty: :isay:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

K-Meleon was last updated on May 2009 and uses the older Geeko 1.8 engine, where the often updates that you mentioned o_O

Agreed that anything other than firefox would not be good for you. You enjoy your firefox and others enjoy their k-meleon:p

10. PC__Gamer

you read my message all wrong, i was talking purely of firefox, it was a sarcastic comment. Firefox updates regular, Firefox is customizable, Firefox updates alot. (not K-Mel) :D

so if in some way that has offended you by my comments about this browser, you need to toughen up a little im afraid. :rolleyes:

what im trying to say is: you wouldnt use an anti-virus using an out-of-date engine, a copy using an older engine version with features missing and very rare updates, and i feel the same way about browsers.

nanana: thanks (i think), im glad someone agrees with me ;)

11. nikanthpromod

thanks for ur comments.:D
    U know all top browsers have become resource hogs.
    They made my system very slow.
    So i searched for lightest browser in google and found many ppl suggesting KMeleon.Thats y im using it. So far so good . No problem yet:thumb:

Is there any Addon site for Kmeleon just like Firefox's??
    I found an extension to enable google search bar.

12. guest

guest Guest

I really don't get what people specifically enjoy in K-Meleon that Firefox users can't enjoy in Firefox.

I mean: K-Meleon fans, what are your reasons to run K-Meleon and not Firefox? Firefox is just as customizable as K-Meleon, Firefox runs on top of the latest version of Gecko while K-Meleon runs on top of an old version of it, Firefox is updated with higher frequency than K-Meleon, Firefox has more extensions and features, etc.

So, what's the big deal? Has K-Meleon any advantage that I don't know? If it is lighter than Firefox (and other modern browsers), how exactly is that?

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

It's no big deal. Firefox or k-meleon, let each use what they wish and like:D

14. nikanthpromod

i cannot explain why:gack: , bcoz u will say Firefox is the best Firefox is the best Firefox is the best Firefox is the best Firefox is the best ,just like pc tools in other thread.;)
    I agree Firefox is the best . im using it as my default. But i want another browser. Thats y im using it . If u want to understand the advantage just use it and fell the difference.

15. PC__Gamer

ok, but for a browser than hasnt been updated since May 09, you really dont value security, browsers get updates for a reason, and with this one not having any in sooo long, im guessing there are loads of holes.

16. nikanthpromod

So what about Internet explorer??

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Not really, because the user base is so small, it isn't targeted.:ninja:

Firefox, on the other hand, is often targeted because of the big users base.:p

This is the same analogy as to why Microsoft Windows have many security patches while Macs and Linux have far less security attacks.

Also, users can add Sandboxie to harden up K-Meleon or any other browsers if they want to feel safer surfing.:D

18. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

except its using an older engine which has most likely been exploited many times already so it doesnt matter how small the user base is, it wuld be a browser that doesnt sound like it wuld be hard to be even further exploited since all the current exploits are already there and unfixed (as of May...)

while Linux and Mac are COMPLETELY different OS's than Windows.

19. nikanthpromod

just ran a browser vulnerability scan.
    look at this:thumb:

Attached Files:

20. guest

guest Guest

Every month or so, the IE Team makes available on Windows/Microsoft Update an Internet Explorer Cumulative Security Update. These updates not only fix security vulnerabilities, but also general bugs in the browser and all related components (such as Trident). For more information, such as what general bugs a specifically Cumulative Update fixed, you can go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article of this Cumulative Update.

Example:
    To see the fixed general bugs, go to the second link and click in the General distribution release (GDR) fixes link.

Not that this matters, but FYI, IE8 and Firefox here got the very same results.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  21. PC__Gamer

28 updates in 9 years, of which 6 of those were in 2008 alone. :rolleyes:

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, KM is popular becuase those who actually know about it and desire to use it are 'mostly' those who can use it to the degree it was meant to be used. Erm, to say it is a tweakers delight is perhaps not a strong enough statement.

It is everything a browser should be, that is, not a 'suite', just a browser. It is small and fast, but above all else, I can truly make it my own. FF/Opera, yes they are good and all, and they can be customized. But honestly, for someone like myself who is willing to learn some new macro language, I cannot get enough of it.

Eh, those who are not in the know, they don't see the big deal. Those who do know, of course not all will like it or want to do that. But a large number of KM users just like the simplicity and tweakability. Personally I don't mind that it is only updated infrequently. I certainly don't rely on my browser to be up to date to have security anyway.

Sul.

23. nikanthpromod

I Dont know why some ppl make negative statements about a software without even using it. :doubt:
    They dont want to try that software, but they make negative comments by reading something here and there.o_O

Thats pretty bad:thumbd:
    If any1 want to understand , just try it and give comments.:cautious:

For example SSM ,which has been discontinued 1 year ago , still works in a great fashion .
    There are no updates available for that software. So it is bad now in ur opinions??
    So its good just like IE8 and Firefox

24. guest

guest Guest

Software that isn't regularly maintained, i.e., doesn't receive updates on a regular basis, is really more prone to be insecure and buggy.

For instance, Secunia PSI recommends its users to uninstall any detected discontinued software. It certainly has a strong reason to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  25. nikanthpromod

5.46MB greater than 16.1 MB of IE8?? 7.71MB of Firefox?? 8.87MB of Opera??
    about 10 MB of Chrome??

Thats y i wrote above post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.