JV16 Powertools or Tuneup Utilities 2007?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by besafe, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

3 or 4 years ago I found JV16 to be "too" powerful - removing entries that were required. with the 2005 version things changed. Now I use 2006 without problem and have just tried JV16 2006 RC3 and the few extras that it removed did not cause any immediate issues. Using any program like this though is best do if you use something like Acronis, or FD-ISR

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Exactly... At present I'm using jv16PT v1.5.2.350 and I consider it to be one of the better utilities in my 'Windows toolbox'. But I'd have strong rservation about using a Beta or RC on a 'production' system! :doubt:

3. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I find TU07 much easier and safer to use. I've messed things up and was ok after restoring. Much better than registry mechanic. I feel bad to have paid for that piece of junk.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Enigmah, Just a warning if you had Registry Mechanic within a year. Unless you checked off an obscure box that said something like do not use auto renewal when you bought it, you will get an e-mail notifying you that "your license has been renewed for another year for $29.95. You have 48 hours to cancel". This happened to me about a month ago, and I had to navigate the entire web site links before I found a place in Support to send them a firm e-mail telling them to cancel the renewal. About a day later they sent me the cancelation and credited my Visa card a few days later. :mad:

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm trialing Tuneup Utilities 2007 and I'm a long time user of "Total Uninstall" (TU) also.
    I couldn't find a good registry cleaner, not even TU2007, that meets my wishes, so I did all my uninstalls with "Total Uninstall" and because I had no registry cleaner, I couldn't verify if TU was doing a good job or not.

Today I ran the registry cleaner of TU2007 and I still found traces of softwares I had in the past : all older versions of Firefox, Prevx1, NOD32 and I'm sure when I look deeper, I will find more.

This is for me the absolute proof that TU isn't doing its job very well and that you still need a registry cleaner to clean the leftovers of TU. :)

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: TuneUp's registry editor will help you to find more and more leftover. Just do search for any app which you think may have had some residues left behind. IMO, none of any Uninstaller available these days are capable of doing the job completely. Take care.

7. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Revo uninstall is very good for getting rid of leftovers. Try it out, i prefer it to Total Uninstall (in my opinion its really just a piece of junk).

Ive used TuneUp Utilities since 2004 and have been very happy with it. Its a superb tool.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, Revo Uninstaller is very good too. I have been using it since it was introduced by member here some time ago, and it is FREE. Those who are still searching an reliable uninstaller, Revo is th e ONE. It could be added to your profile with TuneUp.

9. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Yesterday I needed to un-install FD-ISR to install a fix. I used TU2007 for the removal. Just now I ran TU2007 reg cleaner and found no remnants of the "old" FD-ISR.

The question is: Did TU 2007 effectively remove FD-ISR or did its reg cleaner just miss the left-overs?

From my experience w/ this app, I lean toward the first suggestion.

Again: my preference is to couple TU2007 w/ JV16PT

...screamer

10. ErikAlbert

Too late, I already re-installed my computer with TU. I can't change that anymore.
    Revo is just another uninstaller adventure with no guarantees.

TuneUp Utilities has poor selection options for IGNORING registries, one-by-one and that's it. Not good enough.

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You refer TU2007 as TuneUp Utilities 2007 ? If yes, may I suggest to use its Registry Editor manually searching leftover by FD-isr, you may find more, despite the work done by TU2007's registry cleaner.

12. ErikAlbert

Search with what ?

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, use your TuneUp Utilities 2007 trial version. Open its window>administer&control>TuneUp RegistryEditor>Search> type in Firefox or Prevx1 or NOD32, results will be shown any traces left behind by these apps, if any, then you can delete one by one after carefully inspect them.

14. Jean Marc

Jean Marc Registered Member

Hi,

I do not agree : Revo DOES a wonderful job.

It first starts the uninstall routine provided with the application BUT thanks to a sophisticated algorithm, Revo scans before and after you uninstall an application in order to remove any remnants (registry entries, folders, files, shortcuts).

Moreover, compared to Total Uninstall or other apps using snapshots techniques (Ashampoo Uninstaller, Advanced Uninstaller Pro and so on), this procedure is safer.

Revo Uninstaller + Tuneup Utilities 2007 : imho, that's a reliable and powerful solution. A MUST HAVE ! :thumb:

Cheers

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Why so paranoid about the smallest traces left,IMHO they never affect the smooth functioning. To beware off are orphaned drivers left from bad uninstalls,they can if removed ruthles, crash your system on a reboot.Some time ago i deleted a leftover driver from perfect disk,and my system was totally broken to the point i not even managed to recover with my Shadow Protect images.Had to reinstall everything from scratch.So be carefull to do that,first look for any registry entries related to that driver,delete them and reboot,then you can delete that pesky driver.

16. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    TuneUp Utilities 2007 coz it got almost everything in it, good looking and oh man....its made in Germany. ;) :cool: From bootskin to system tweaks and etc...etc...you just find it for yourself and be amazed. :thumb:

But you must be careful when using its Registry cleaner tools, coz it might possibly find something in your pc that don't really needed to be cleaned but it still needed and when you re-boot some problems may occur. So check it out first before you delete what the registry cleaner finds. :doubt: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.