jv16 PowerTools 2013

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxJackxx, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

So I received an email that this new version had been released and as a former customer, I could upgrade for just over $5. I thought, why not, it isn't that much. So I ordered and today I start getting calls from the fraud department at my bank asking about multiple attempts at fraudulent charges on this card. I hope it was worth it to them to forever lose a customer. Who do I report these losers to so I can help prevent them from doing this to others?

I now don't trust the software either, wondering what information it will try to steal from my machine. :mad:

2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

How do you know it was official and conducted through JV/Macecraft themselves? Maybe you got spoofed?

3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I've gotten similar letters from "piriform" asking me to upgrade to the latest pro-versions of ccleaner for a seemingly way-too-small fee.

4. xxJackxx

It was their site. They sent me a working key. It may be their payment processor is the problem, but it all happened from their site. I had not used this credit card in a month, then within 24 hours of using it for this I get fraudulent attempts for someone to try to buy airline tickets and hotel rooms. In the end it will only cost me the inconvenience of having to deal with it but I will never buy software from an overseas vendor again.

The software itself I got from another download site and checked it on VirusTotal so I am not as worried about that but they will need a US based reseller if they ever want another dime from me. :doubt:

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I haven't yet updated to 2013 so will see what happens ... haven't gotten their update notification yet, though I'm sure I'm on their mailing list.

Never had any problems with Macecraft except back at the very beginning when payment was strictly through their Finnish payment service or Verified-by-Visa ... in both cases approval was declined, rather than any problem with erroneous charges, and Visa's service reps said their then-new VbV system was still having "birth pangs" and various bugs and was probably to blame in their case.

Other than with Amazon, which has been quite reliable over the years, I avoid using any service for credit card purchases except Paypal. And since Macecraft quickly added Paypal as an option, there's been no problems since.

The $5 price does seem unusually low, I thought Macecraft's deal for existing/previous customers was more like $10 or $15 for upgrades.

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

My product does not have a digital signature so that didn't impress me much.
    I removed it.

Check your own copy maybe I'm out of date on the signature.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ xxJackxx et al

I doubt if it's Anything to do with Macecraft, as they don't process the payment, it's dmp2.luottokunta.fi that does.

I placed an order on Macecraft's www & got redirected to here

https://dmp2.luottokunta.fi/dmp/pay...b74dcf7f727d550.e34Ma30Kc3mTbO0MbO0?locale=en

So Macecraft don't have Anyones credit card etc details, only their Name/email !

I agree it's a problem that those illegal purchasing attempts have been made, but i can't see how Macecraft can be blamed. Also it's good your card company are on the ball & intervened.

There are several possibilities i can immediately think of.

1 - The comp you used to order is compromised

2 - luottokunta.fi is compromised

3 - The network you used is compromised

8. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Please keep us informed. Did you contact Macecraft, police, etc?

9. xxJackxx

You're probably right, I have calmed down a bit since getting the calls from the bank. I have contacted Macecraft to inform them of the situation and await a response.

10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hope so

Good, understandable you were annoyed etc !

Great, keep us posted :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.