JV16 PowerTools 2006 - Exclusions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

RegScrubXP
    HKCU.reg = 8,381 KB
    HKLM.reg = 28,768 KB

RegEdit
    HKCR.reg = 13,678 KB
    HKCU.reg = 14,225 KB
    HKLM.reg = 37,118 KB
    HKUS.reg = 18,144 KB
    HKCC.reg = 15 KB

What a mess. Pffft.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

wow that is weird.

3. ErikAlbert

I hope the backup-files of other registry cleaners match better with regedit.
    My pain isn't over yet to find a registry cleaner, that works for me.

4. ErikAlbert

I tried TuneUp Utilities again and I don't see any improvement.

TuneUp Utilities has indeed the possibility to exclude (ignore) registries, but you have to exclude these registries one by one.
    Very convenient if you have to exclude 100 registries. :rolleyes:
    The "undo exclusion" also exists, but you have to do it one by one.

But you can remove registries and
    - select one registry at random
    - select more than one registry at random
    - select all registries.
    Why didn't the author provide the same selection methods for
    - exclusions and
    - undo exclusions ?
    There is no excuse for this, all three deserve an equal treatment.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Your correct about tuneup utilities allowing exclusions one by one.Ace utilities allow mass exclusion as does RFA ,with rfa having the most options.I guess it is hard to find one utility with every option that you need or would like.
    ellison

6. ErikAlbert

Although Ace Utilities isn't as good as RegScrubXP, it's the best of the worst until now.
    "Exclusions" and "Undo Exclusions" are available but both with poor selection methods.
    You can
    - select one registry at random
    - select more than one registry at random
    - select all registries is NOT possible.
    The fact that multiple selections are possible with the key "Ctrl" and mouse-clicks, makes the selection faster for larger quantities.

It's a pity that AU isn't freeware, because I don't like to pay for a software, that doesn't meet my basic wishes.

7. ErikAlbert

Thanks for confirming, for awhile I thought I was a fool.
    It shouldn't be hard to find a registry cleaner with equal treatment of removal, exclusions and undo exclusions.
    These missing functions have nothing to do with my personal wishes, they have to be provided by the author,
    in case the user needs them. This should be a standard for all registry cleaners.

I understand why the authors neglected exclusions. The majority of users doesn't use a registry cleaner and nobody is asking for exclusions.
    The users want only one thing : remove as many registries as possible, even the VALID, but unused registries, because they want absolutely a clean registry.
    I don't agree with this because I like to keep the VALID, but unused registries and the authors of registry cleaners make it very difficult for me to do this, just because they were to lazy to program it correctly.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree to the most extent.My own personal opinion and experience ,is that good registry cleaners dont usually identify hundereds of "good" entries as bad and therfore the need to exclude into the hundreds might only be a remote possibility.In 6 years of using various registry cleaners ive probably used the exclusion facility for about 20 entries (mostly for my brother printer/scanner).Of course im not saying that it couldnt happen ,nor that you dont present a very valid argument.Ive tried a few more this morning (cm disk cleaner ,easy cleaner ,and a few others but none have that ,and some are just downright dangerous.The best two for your requiremenets(that ive tested) is still ace or rfa ,but as you say both are payware.Ill keep looking though and post if i find one that has those features.
    ellison

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I have to say, Erik, that, much as it disappoints me, I see what you mean and also think it's not right. You're statement to this effect several weeks back (at least, the first time I saw it), has made me re-evaluate just what DO I want out of a registry cleaner and WHY do I want to run it.

10. ErikAlbert

I've sent an email to "TuneUp Utilities" about those missing selection methods.
    If they promise to add those missing selection methods in the future, I might buy it.
    I'm not going to remove valid unused registries, which is in my opinion UNSAFE.
    It's OK for me to remove remaining registries due to an un-installation of softwares and registries caused by malwares, but nothing more than that.

My original plan for uninstalling softwares COMPLETELY was :
    1. I would run a "Registry Cleaner" first, just to be sure I have a blank scan report and this report is supposed to be blank, because I excluded all the valid unused registries of Windows and each installed legitimate software.
    2. After that I would run "Add/Remove Programs" of winXPproSP2 to uninstall the software.
    3. After that I would run "Total Uninstall" to remove possible leftovers of "Add/Remove Programs".
    4. After that I would run a "Registry Cleaner" again to remove possible leftovers of "Total Uninstall", because "Total Uninstall" isn't perfect either.
    I just can't find a registry cleaner to make that possible and this is also the reason why I need a registry cleaner right after installing winXPproSP2.
    This is also for me the only way to use a registry cleaner in a SAFE way, after all I'm not an expert in registries.

I'm not happy with this procedure, because I wouldn't have to do this, if each software company was able to write a GOOD uninstaller to uninstall their OWN software, which is quite ridiculous.
    But I want to get rid of this problem, once and for all and I think that this might be a 99%-solution to uninstall softwares completely.
    There are just TOO many softwares with a sick uninstaller and I've also read too many posts with uninstalling problems.

Some members suggested to solve this problem with FDISR and FDISR is indeed the very best uninstaller of any software, because you only need to remove or refresh the snapshot, where the software is installed.
    That solution only works for new installed softwares, but doesn't work for softwares you used for a very long period and also these software need to be uninstalled completely, if you want to get rid of them or you want to replace them by a better software.
    After all these long-time-used softwares aren't installed in a test snapshot anymore, they are installed in your working snapshot and your rollback (healthy) snapshot.

11. crofttk

Agreed. And yes, it's too bad that less than optimal programming creates all this necessity for extra utilities and sweat to keep your system clean. I'll bet the software vendors are laughing all the way to the bank.

BTW, (OT), we drove through Antwerpen on the way to Luxembourg last Wednesday morning. I looked out the window but didn't see you anywhere, Erik. It must be because we were going about 140 km/h.:D

12. ErikAlbert

LOL. My curtains were closed at that time, so you couldn't see me. :D

13. WSFuser

@Erik u are rele trying too hard to find the golden grail of safe registry cleaner.

if youre no expert, just dont use a registry cleaner. it offers almost no performance gain and it can cause more problems than without one.

OTOH, if several registry cleaners end up with newer improved versions, that would be nice.

14. ErikAlbert

I don't agree with you on this and I'm not going to explain why, because I already explained HOW and WHEN I will use a registry cleaner from the beginning.
    Most users can't even use my method, because you have to do this from the beginning. If their computer is already installed, it's too late.
    It's not about finding the golden grail, it's about controling your registry cleaner and you lose that control, when you start using your registry cleaner for periodical cleaning.

15. crofttk

Hmmmm....

If Jason and the Argonauts sought the Golden Fleece and King Arthur and his Knights sought the Holy Grail, who was it that sought the "golden grail" o_O:eek:

16. WSFuser

though im still in teh dark of your motivation for wanting a registry cleaner, i wish you good luck Erik.

also it seems ive lost control of my registry cleaner long time ago.

17. ErikAlbert

"StompSoft Registry Repair" has also very good selection methods for "exclusions" and "undo exclusions" and without using the stupid Notepad.
    http://www.stompsoft.com/
    Only a few registry cleaner authors know how to do it right.

I tried at least 20 registry cleaners during the last 3 days before I found this one and I only found 2 in total, that worked like it should be. Unbelievable.
    I can't even use my first choice "TuneUp Utilities 2006" or "JV16 PowerTools", recommended by Fred Langa.
    I'm very disappointed. :'(

18. WSFuser

well at least u found one cleaner that fits the bill. good job

also have u contacted teh authors of any registry cleaner without the features u were looking for?

19. ErikAlbert

I contacted TuneUp Utilities. If TU doesn't reply or give me a negative reply, I just stop complaining about it. I have the impression that neither the authors, nor the users really care about this, if they did, it would have been changed years ago.

For me it's very logical that registry cleaners offer two possibilities for the users after scanning the registry : remove or exclude/ignore.
    And it doesn't matter if "exclude" is used many times or almost never used.
    And it doesn't matter if users want "exclude" or don't want "exclude".
    Both have to be available, just like backup and restore in a backup software. :)

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik

You hit the nail on the head. Most of the author's don't care, because their users don't care. With all the posts you've made about this, has there been one other poster who said, yeah, I'd like that too. Not that your wanting it is bad, just not many do. Ergo not many programs have it.

Pete

21. ErikAlbert

Well, I found only 2 registry cleaners, "RegScrubXP" and "StompSoft Registry Repair".
    I tried all the popular and best ones, which means I don't have to look further anymore.

I don't trust "RegScrubXP" because the backup isn't complete IMO and rather amateuristic.
    The backup/restore isn't even mentioned on the main menu of RegScrubXP.
    If you don't read the manual, you don't even know how to backup/restore.
    So I have only one choice left : "StompSoft Registry Repair" (SRR), which has everything I need.

I thought freeware "RegSeeker" was the most aggressive registry cleaner, but not anymore :
    RegSeeker reported 326 problems and SRR reported 670 problems, while CCleaner reported only 65 problems.
    Fred Langa had the same experience with SRR, if you read his results :
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=171203805
    But that doesn't bother me, because I won't use a registry cleaner as a periodical cleaner, like many users do.

EDIT:
    I removed all 670 registries and everything was still working. LOOOL. I love extreme tests.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.