jv-16 Tools

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Has anyone had any experience with JV-16 PowerTools? I've trying to decide between this app and their RegSupreme app. I'm mainly interested in getting an EXCELLENT registry cleaner. Both seem to use the same registry cleaner, where PowerTools just adds bells and whistles (in additin to $$) which are not really needed. Anyone have experience with these that can offer an opinion?

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

Like many others here, I was a devoted fan and user of JV-16 back when it was freeware. I'm not familar with any changes/additions since it became shareware, but the original was definitely an excellent product.

Probably one of the best features of its registry cleaner, which is also available by itself (as you mentioned) as RegSupreme, is that it gives a brief explanation of what's wrong with any entry that it doesn't "like". Such as file doesn't exist, obsolete file type, etc. Everything I've tried out to find a replacement for it gives you simply a raw listing, and you have to decide for yourself whether they can safely come out.

I've been using the free-trial of RegSupreme and have been happy with it, enough so to pay for registration. Unfortunately they're one of the few online vendors who handle Visa transactions through the relatively new Verified-By-Visa system, and that's loaded with glitches (almost always resulting in denied credit). And Macecraft has indicated to me that they can't accept payment in any other manner but credit card.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Mike,

Thanks. ;)

I also used PowerTools when it was freeware. I really liked the registry cleaner - it caught entries many others missed (including some highly popular fee-based apps). I never did use the other bells and whistles of the PowerTools. I'm also trying the RegSupreme, and the registry cleaner seems very similar, but not exactly the same. The registry scan using PowerTools always tool Much, Much longer, and I don;t want to purchase an inferior registry scanning product.

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Mike,

Just noticed something......why no Firewall mateo_O?

Knowing you, there must be a good reason.

Cochise, :cool:

5. root

root Registered Member

Hey Dazed one. I'm a beta tester for Juoni and use both all the time.
    As for cleaning the registry, Power tools catches a couple of entries that RegSupreme misses but they are not marked as safe to delete.
    I think RegSupreme is fine for most users and should be safest to use.
    No need for Power Tools unless you are a dedicated tweaker.

6. MikeBCda

Hi Cochise,
    Someone else had asked me this recently in an IM. I tried ZA for all of one evening and definitely didn't like it. Even cutting its Internet protection back from the default high to medium, I was getting numerous alerts per minute, and both my ISP and ZoneLabs themselves agree that was just internet "noise". And if I'd set it to "off", no point keeping it, right?

Its handling of programs looking for internet access is fine, it treats them on-the-fly as they occur and remembers your choices. If it could handle incoming stuff the same way I'd have kept it, but having to manually create a "catalogue" of what's ok and what isn't is not the way to properly design that kind of software.

And my excellent ISP guys agree that while I'm losing a level of protection, given the other protection I'm using plus being a home user on a dialup with dynamic IP it's probably not a major loss compared to any of the others.

I'll be interested to see the new firewall coming in XP SP2 -- the word going around is that it's a lot more user-friendly (and therefore more likely to be used) than anything else currently around.

Best,
    Mike

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Mike,

Sorry to hear of your experience with ZA. :'( I used the free version for years and took the big step to Pro just a few weeks ago. Based on what your telling me, I would recommend the free version for your setup. Have you tried it?

D&C

8. MikeBCda

Hi D&C - the free version is what I was using, but thanks anyway. That's the nice thing about freeware, no major decisions about wasted money (or hassling for a refund) if you decide to take it back out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.