Just upgraded to Windows Live Mail 2011, sigh

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by AlanZ, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanZ

AlanZ Registered Member

I didn't realize that this was a significant upgrade to the program.

Now my Eset Smart Security 4 does not apply to the new program, and all the spam is getting through.

What is the current advice for Smart Security users?

Is there an update immenent?
    Is there a way to roll back to a previous version of Windows Live Mail?

Please let me know... I get several hundred emails a day and have to find a solution to this quickly.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

not much can be done until support for WLM 2011 is added. see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=284466

If you have system restore enabled you can use that to revert previous version. Do you have isp/email provider spam filters enabled on whatever accounts you are pulling emails from?

if you revert not sure how your emails will be affected. make backup just in case

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Registered Member

I can attest to what a customer should NOT do.

DO NOT CONTACT ESET technical support asking them how to deal with the Windows Live Mail 2011 problem with Smart Security's Anti-Spam module.

I contacted them via the ESET window and they emailed me instructions for resetting the ESET email program configuration.

When that didn't work, they had me uninstall my current version, download a new file and install it.

When that didn't work, I asked them again if they were actually reading the question, and explained that I quite clearly noted that this was a Windows Live Mail 2011 issue.

They replied

~Private communications removed per the TOS.~

So I asked them how to go about rolling back to an earlier version of Windows Live Mail.

They suggested using System Restore.

I tried that... twice and each time Windows noted that Restore could not complete, and was likely related to an antivirus program.

I emailed ESET asking if I needed to uninstall ESET once again, and they said

~Private communication removed per the TOS.~

I did uninstall the ESET software, and then the System Restore ran normally, contrary to the statement above.

System restore resurrected the earlier Windows Live Mail, and partially restored the earlier instance of ESET (it failed to initialize).
    I then had to uninstall ESET once again and reinstall it.
    Finally I can use the anti-spam module again.

So today the only useful advice I got from tech support was to run system restore... and they neglected to inform me that I had to uninstall ESET first.

I've wasted about 5 hours on this today. Installing and uninstalling software per their instructions, and to undo their instructions.

I do hope they get their act together as I'm sure there are going to be many people affected by the Windows Live Mail 2011 update.

The support staff should have been aware of the issue, and prepared to deal with best practices to cope with the issue.

I also hope my experiences help others in similar situations and that they don't continue to mechanically send out incorrect information when people are specifically asking about this Windows Live Mail 2011 incompatibility.

I respectfully requested that they forward my correspondence to the support managers.

Live and learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  4. aido

aido Registered Member

I think the Eset Staff should keep an eye on other companies take to learn how the best way to communicate with the users. The software is good no doubt, but relatively antiquated with respect to the competitors. This had to be said the hope now some are waking up and deal with this problem.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a former NOD32 user, I found that over a few years I had a few issues between my e-mail and Eset to the point that I had to disable Eset's e-mail filter. NOD32 is a good AV but has too many issues where you have to tweek to make things work. I have gone to Avast! Free where I have no problems.

6. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello AlanZ,

I have sent you a personal message, can you please respond with your case number so that I can look into how your case was handled?

Thank you,
    Richard

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Do not upgrade to WLM 11:argh:

I uninstalled it. The only way is to restore your c partition.

Thanks to MS for proving the value of images!:rolleyes:

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Registered Member

Richard,

I just replied to your PM. Thanks.

9. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

Live Essentials 2011 alsoscrew up SMB shares.

How in the world can a simply e-mail program screw up network shares?

Install accidently and uninstalled 15 mins later...

Also, how can M$ call Live Essentials 2011 a "critical update" on W7 Pro?

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Registered Member

Have there been any updates to ESS that are compatible with Windows Live Mail 2011?

It turns out that I can't apparently update Windows Live Messenger without updating Mail along with it.

So is there a target date for an ESS fix for the problem?

Thanks

11. AlanZ

AlanZ Registered Member

The silence is deafening. Is no one else concerned about this?

12. AlanZ

AlanZ Registered Member

Beuller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

13. Gti30

Gti30 Registered Member

I upgraded WLM 2011 weeks ago and never had any problems. Mines is running Win 7 64 bit and so far its been perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.