Just tried DrWeb

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mele20, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I am so glad I decided to install DrWeb first on a virtual machine instead of my host machine. I had no idea it would insist on installing a worthless email scanner and then I could not even turn it off. I NEVER use an email scanner...not on Outlook Express. I hate them. (Besides my ISP, like most these days, scans all incoming and outgoing mail at the mail gateways and dslreports also scans dslr mail). I assumed that I would be able to choose custom install and not install the email scanner or, at the very least, be able to disable it entirely after the install.

The installer hung although it appeared that DrWeb installed ok but I could not close the Installer. I had to use Task Manager to kill it. Besides seeing that email scanner install, I saw immediately that I would not be happy with DrWeb as I will not use an AV that scans before I have a chance to configure it. That can cause a mess when a scanner is that ill behaved.

Plus, there is no on demand scanner? That is actually all I want ...is a very powerful on demand scanner. (Avira's on demand scanner is weak). I had no DrWeb on right click.

I was really puzzled to see quarantine for the superfulous email scanner but no quarantine where it is needed. I also cannot do without quarantine.

I decided to uninstall it. I couldn't. The installer told me that it had detected an OLDER version of DrWeb on my computer and recommended that I abort the installation and first remove the old version. Huh? I was trying to uninstall it not install it! And what was that about detecting an old version? I got it off DrWeb's site. How could that be an OLD version? I have never had DrWeb on this computer before this so there is no way the installer was seeing an old version.
    Anyhow, I could not uninstall it. I had to use System Restore. :(

So, as I said, I am so glad I did not try it on my host machine.

2. sergeyko

sergeyko AV Expert

Setup does allow custom installation of ALL drweb components. Even if there is the email scanner installed it can be removed. Just use setup. Or Add\Remove programs.

There was drweb scanner running I suppose.

Well there is no need to read further. There is no anything at all drweb has! Surely besides that stupid email scanner. ;)

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

OT:

A rather surprising comment.

Why would the on-demand scanner be any different from on-access? Or are they both equally weak?

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Avira's Guard is very powerful. The on demand scanner cannot scan such things as 7zip (although they are working on it). So, you have to use Guard as Guard will catch stuff as it attempts to execute. I want an on demand scanner that is powerful and will detect when I do a right click scan. I would have been infected with a nasty that was packed with 7zip if I had not had Guard running. LukeFilewalker found nothing at each stage of unpacking. It was only when I got down to the exe file that on execution Guard caught 11 nasties.

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Ah.

Be sure to find one that supports NSIS unpacking, then. This is one major installer format I know Avira cannot deal with as well.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

your own fault for not checking what you wanted installed during the installation

thats exactly, what YOU CAN do, you just failed to watch your screen, click click click.

it did not hang, again... if you would bother reading your screen, it tells you a quick scan will start and progress will continue when that is finished/closed, again... click click click.

erm... yes, there is.
    if there isnt, something is f'ed up with your machine, or you simply couldnt wait for the installation to finish (all 1 minute of it),

C'mon Mele, this was something you knew prior to installing (or trying to) Drweb, you cant complain on something you already knew, was you expecting it to be different just for you?

, its commented enough on these forums about the quarentine feature, you do know this.

people expect the rants from you.

lets keep them at Avira next time. ;)

--
    peace. :-*

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

People should learn from what they ask of others to do.:cautious:

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why would the fact that drweb scanner was running keep the installer from closing?

I tried to used setup. I couldn't and I couldn't use add/remove programs to remove that component. As I said Add/remove insisted I wanted to install DrWeb and said I had an old version that needed removing first. I would have been happy to remove just the email scanner or disable it even but I couldn't.

This was on XP Pro SP1. Maybe DrWeb doesn't like Service Pack 1? I know Avira beta 8 doesn't. But I do and on a virtual machine I don't have to run the latest Service Pack for security reasons so I use SP1 for XP Pro. I did make sure all of Avira beta was gone.

9. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Mele20,

You don't play a fair game.

Dr.Web (or any other AV for that matter) allows you to use the software for a month. Pay back this gesture by at least using this software for longer than 10 minutes.

"There is no on demand scanner". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll pray for you tonight.

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Never, ever had a problem with Dr. Web installation or removal on dozens of machines with various hardware/software combinations. I do not have any idea why you are having problems. Perhaps user error?

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I saw nothing to indicate that there would be a fast scan and that I should wait for that to finish. I had a blank blue screen. I could not get anything but a blank blue screen. So, how was I supposed to know it was doing a scan? I haven't had an AV in years (NOD32 version 1) that has done that. It is old fashioned so I didn't expect that besides it is ill mannered for an AV to scan before you have a chance to configure it. What if it found a nasty? No quarantine and it was set by default to delete! What if it deleted a False Positive? Why would anyone these days put up with such an old fashioned AV? Granted, I don't like the bloat in most AV's today but I do appreciate that they have a quarantine and allow you to configure them before they take off.

I clicked on the icon in the systray when the installer screen went blank. Then I saw it scanning. That is how I knew it was scanning. It didn't tell me it was going to do that. I had to find out for myself. So, I waited until it finished and I still had a blank blue installer screen that would not close. I had no error messages but the installer wouldn't finish I guess because I couldn't close it.

12. risl

risl Registered Member

Defaulted to delete? My drw have always been defaulted to report/ask user(scanner and guard). Scanning for viruses during installation might be there to prevent already existing malware to corrupt the installation. Anyway, the quick scan should only check for operating memory, and some critical disk areas like windows system32/system folders and startup items.

And yes, dr.web is old fashioned if we take a look at it's gui and some other "stone aged" features like commandline scanner but their scan engine, heuristics, cleaning engine etc. are not.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Good point if regular users of Dr Web can confirm that this is the default action.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the scan is a quickscan during installation of running processes and critical files only, the installation TELLS the user, it will be happening.

default scanner settings are Report on everything.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thank you C.S.J.

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I've been reading these forums for the past year and installed most of the anti-virus programs recommended.

I'm a big fan of DW's cureit, and installed dr web anti-virus on a couple of computers at work. Like how simple the program is to use (I've later changed to another which I found used similar resources).

While installing it on a home computer, I experienced the same as the first poster. The installation hung, I left it for about 10 to 15 minutes. I had to terminate athe process and restart.

Once it restarted I received an error message advising Dr Web components were not installed properly.

This computer didn't have any previous version of DW, so I decided to uninstall. But the uninstaller failed to initiate. So I used an uninstall program (revo uninstaller).

Then the computer wouldn't boot up, so I used system restore.

With reference to another thread on here (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=203929 ) while successfully installing it on another computer, the internet connection was lost. Installed another anti-virus, connection resumes. On both occassions above, no other anti-virus program/firewall was in place prior to the DW installation.

I think it's a solid product, but was left wondering for awhile if any others experienced the same problems until these recent threads.

Otherwise, looking forward to the new version.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well welcome to Wilders Saraceno, and sorry to hear about your misfortunes with Dr. Web.

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thank you trjam. Have enjoyed reading these forums, especially with the creators of these products stopping by. :)

I put it down to probably a simple conflict between a couple of programs.

Maybe running the Dr Web installation in safe mode would do the trick.

19. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Make certain you do not have other AVs on your system and/or remnants of same on your box. Use CCleaner to clense anything in the registry that is causing problems.

Best,

BB

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One reality you are going to have to face. As time goes on you are going to have more and more problems by sticking to SP1. Already a lot of stuff won't run. Sooner or later you will be forced to bite the bullet.

21. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Saraceno,
    Welcome to Wilders, I had this problem, If you shutdown your firewall and install Dr.web you should be OK. This is what I did and drweb installed with no problems.Good Luck.
    Badcompany.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have another virtual machine with XP Pro SP2 but it also has XP Pro Service Pack 3 RC, Firefox 3 beta 4, and IE 8 beta. I didn't think that was an ideal environment for trialing DrWeb. :D The machine with XP Pro SP 1 has no exotic Release Candidates or betas of anything on it. A nice solid machine that runs great and that I use a lot...well, it does have Microsoft's Windows Feeback Program software but it has been running that for over three months with no problems so I don't call that "exotic". ;) If I had installed DrWeb on my virtual machine with XP SP3 you guys would have said that was the problem or IE 8 was the problem, etc. so it seemed to me that a very stable, well performing guest machine with SP1 was the best choice. There is no reason why a security application should not work on SP1. Poor application if it doesn't. Other applications you might need an older version to work on SP1 but as for antivirus applications they should work on SP1 as quite a few folks will never upgrade to SP2.

23. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Exactly the same here but on Vista 32-bit:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.