Just purchased NOD32 - Have two questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by NOD32 customer, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey.. I just wanna say first its great to find a forum that lets you post without going through that registration process (i hate that!)

Anyway I just purchased NOD32. My Thinkpad came with Nortan Antivirus 2004 but after some thorough research, "they" say NOD32 is the best and I only want the best for my new laptop.

OK here are my two questions:

1. Every time I run a scan i get about 5-6 dozen files that are locked and can't be scanned! I tried booting in safe mode and scanning but this does nothing, I still got about 3-4 dozen files that are locked!. How can i fix this so I can do a full system scan (which is a must!)?

2. When I first run NOD32 I get the following message in red:

MBR sector of the 1. physical disk contains probably unknown TSR.BOOT virus [7].

Nod32 prompts me with no options as to how I can handle this.. So how do I get rid of this nasty?

------------------------

2. Please note that when i first got NOD32 a few weeks ago I was not getting this virus warning! So I am sure something has to be wrong :-(

3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Do a google search for one of those online AV scanners. This will provide you with another independent scan of your PC. McAfee is one of the best bug killer $ can buy. And I've seen it advertised for less than $10.

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

5. MNKid

MNKid Guest

So what does that say about NOD? It let you know about the virus, but not how to deal with it. Jeez!

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you please follow the steps found here

These are very comprehensive steps and should fix your problem. At the end of the post are 2 links that discuss securing your PC further.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

7. Blackspear

When a Trojan has been injected into Memory, most of the time it requires booting Windows into "Safe Mode" in order to remove the infection...

Hope this helps...

8. I have done all this Mr. Support guy.

I also have BOclean installed, Adaware Professional, Zone Alarm Pro, and have configured and hardened all this programs including NOD32 for most effective performance.

So,

1. I still get the alert

2. And i still get 2-3 dozen locked files which can not be scanned! (which is scary) Surely their must be another option ,e.g. pre-boot scan.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I get locked files that can not be scanned also. Thet are usually system files that are in use by windows and unassesable. But some of my security apps also have locked files. not just to nod but any antivirus. It is really not much to be worried about.

10. Blackspear

Can you please post your log from the completed scan, this will show us which files are locked.

Logs are found here: Nod32 Control Centre> Logs> Nod32 Scanner Logs

11. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

hi if it says file locked [4] then they are system files that can not b accessed.
    that is normal, your not missing anything. other av's dont display this info but the same thing happens, just nod32 lets u know about it.

as for the new unknown, it probably is a false positive.

does it have an extion .CHM?

you can try an look for the file to see where it is[what folder etc]

if you have adaware an spybot their log recovery files are password protected so nod will not scan those, you need to empty them manually.

12. Sweetie(*)(*)

oh your notebook wouldnt happen to be an IBM would it?

ive heard that the ibm hardware security monitor[unique to ibm]
    causes conflicts with certain software, namely some AV scanners.

are u using any type of memory accelerator?

13. Hey

Yeah :) My computer is a Thinkpad :). But I have not installed any of the IBM Client Security software and have disabled the Security chip.

I will post the log once I get home which should be in a few hours

Thanks for all you guys help thus far

14. Sweetie(*)(*)

glad to help, if your troubles continue try asking the IBM tech advice people,
    but post here an let us know, we may be able to try somthing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.