Just purchased KAV 5 from Newegg!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Slovak, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Question now is when do I get a link to download it?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

3. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Hmm, well I didn't receive a key, I downloaded from the link Newegg sent me, installed the product, and that was it, I guess the key installed with the product because it says under liscense key that it is a commercial key, and expires 12/26/2006, which is 1 year from now.
    For Owner, it says customer is DRCC whatever that means and gives the liscense number next to that.
    Funny thing is it says my version is 5.0.390, and on Kaspersky web site under downloads it says current version is 5.0.388 o_O
    What's up with that?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My last version of Kav I got had the key imbedded in the program. The 390 is a patch the 388 is the same av version without the patch

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

So I'm still good to go? Weird that my name can't be listed as the customer/owner, instead it lists it as DRCC.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

mine listed the company that I downloaded from as the registered party. it still works just fine. you are good to go.;)

7. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Thanks, so far I love it, great product.

8. JohnH

JohnH Registered Member

Store your personal key in a safe place. Your key is a file named hhhhhhh.key where the name part is hexadecimal digits 0-F. I think you’ll find the key in the folder where you extracted the downloaded exe. The file size is only 13-1400 bytes.

9. Don Pelotas

You can extract the key (i would) from the installer with Winrar for future use when you upgrade to a newer version of 5.0 or when 6/2006 is released.:)

10. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Hmm, how do I do that? The file downloaded was a .exe file that I just clicked and installed, didn't have to extract anything. Don't have winrar either, I have izarc.

11. Don Pelotas

Then use izarc, with Winrar you just rightclick on the exe file and choose extract to "kav5.0.388trial_personalen" & it then makes a folder you can open, the keyfile the one which look like this (2kb):

Attached Files:

• 852.png
      852.png
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Then what, save that key file somewhere, or open it?
    I had to download winrar, izarc doesn't support extracting like that for .exe files.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  13. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I burned it to a cd with the KAV I purchased.

14. Don Pelotas

Yes, always save it to cd or floppy, then you can always download a newer build from the link in post #2, when you then install the newer build (includíng 6.0) you're prompted for the key.:)

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Don't use floppy because they are way too unrealiable. CD(RW) and DVD's are fine. USB sticks should be fine too.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

17. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I don't know, but it sounds fishy for that price to me.

18. Don Pelotas

All you download from the Kaspersky site is the program and anyone can do that:http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates, the important thing is, does the key you buy work, can he/she provide support, oh & it doesn't cost $3.99, the bidding just starts there.

But try your luck and report back.;) :D

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I did buy mine for $3.99 as no one else bid. However I don't want to put it on my computer now as BD does not run out for a month or so. I did get a key. I find it difficult that it would be bogus since the seller has a Feedback Score: 99 transactions, Positive Feedback: 100%, Member since Feb-03-02 in United States.

If I get a laptop I will put it on it.

I realize that anyone can download the program and it is the key that is critical. He continues to sell and so although I have not tried it, I do have a high confidence that it is legitimate. Not sure why or how it is so cheap. I thought maybe someone here had tried it. His feedback is excellent with comments that the key works. He also says that if any problem he will provide help.
    As to support I assumed that KAV would provide support.

Jerry

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I questioned the seller about support.
    Ques.Does Kaspersky provide support for the Kaspersky AVs that you sell here? I mentioned on Wilder's that the progams are for sale here, and that was a quesion. I have not installed mine, and would also like to know if support is available from Kaspersky. END

Answer,Yes you update antivirus database every hour, for upgrade the version of program you should buy again.END

I did not know if this requirement to purchase a program upgrade is the norm or not.
    Jerry

21. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

No thats NOT normal! Kaspersky allows program upgrades as long as your key is valid...

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Not such a good deal then, as there is a new one coming out soon I think.

Thanks. BTW what is winrar? Is it something already a part of Windows or something to download? I saw that somewhere else.

Jerry

23. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

winrar is compression program just like winzip. it support several archieve type and has its own type .rar .its not part of windows.

24. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

But i really dont think thats possible... Kaspersky does NOT give such licences! Ones where its not allowed to upgrade to a better version!

25. Don Pelotas

If the key you bought is the real deal, then you can use any version of Kaspersky AV available, including 6.0 when it arrives, assuming this is a standard key for personal products.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.