Just installed TI, and very happy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DavidPJ, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidPJ

DavidPJ Registered Member

I just finished installing TI 8 Build 791 and I'm very happy with the product. Everything operated just as it should. My configuration is simple, I backed up of my full system IDE drive to a second HDD also on the same IDE. The newly created image verified fine. Creating a boot CD-R also worked flawlessly.

So here's my dilemma. Should I upgrade to build 800? Is there anywhere on the Acronis web site that explains what changes were made to build 800? My initial reaction is to leave well enough alone.

Other than image verification, is there any other way for me know that my newly created image will restore properly? I don't have another disk to attempt a trial restore. I assume the answer is no, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks to everyone on this forum over the past week that gave me the assurance to give TI a try. As a side note, I bought my copy from Newegg and had excellent price, service and delivery.

2. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Unless there is a known issue with the new version, if it has been out a week or two with other people testing it, I usually update my software. I'm new to TI, so I can't speak to this product specifically.

I installed build 800 a couple days ago and so far so good, but I have not actually RESTORED an image yet. Within the next week I'll be doing this to a bare drive as a test. Until this test passes, I'm still officially undecided. I'm not too worried, though. This seems like a solid product.

Marc

3. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

I have both build 796 and 800 and see no difference between them. I'm running XP Pro. I read somewhere that 800 includes more support for Linux-type file systems or some such thing.

Overall, I'm happy with the product but it fails to clone a drive reliably (see other threads). It always images just fine for me, including verifying the images. I have restored images with no problems both from CD's and from an external USB 2.0 hard drive. The only complaint I have is that it fails to clone properly as I said.

Acronis Tech Support stresses the importance of upgrading to the latest build. I went back and forth between 796 & 800 and found no difference in my applications. You have a rather old build so maybe you ought to try 800. You can always uninstall it and go back to the old version if you decide to later.

4. DavidPJ

Thanks for your reply Marc. I also don't usually quickly upgrade software, unless I know it's supposed to fix a serious problem I'm experiencing. Good luck with your 800 build and please post your results. I don't think 800 has been out for long. I'm hoping someone from Acronis jumps on this thread and gives their opinion and answers some of my questions.

5. ratcheer

ratcheer Registered Member

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Many users had a problem with build 796 taking too long (approx 60 secs) to boot from the Linux based boot rescue CD. This was fixed in build 800 (now boots in appox 15 secs).

Generally, each new build has better hardware support (particularly in boot rescue mode) and a number of bug fixes. Personally, I download and test each new build (having created a new boot rescue CD) after imaging my current system. If everything works as advertised (which it has) then great, if not I would just restore my previous setup.

Regards

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We do recommend that you update all Acronis software and create new Acronis Bootable Media with the latest build. When you download the update you are shown the main changelog and see the main fixes implemented. However, each new build includes many minor fixes as well. If you are satisfied with the current build you may not update it. If you encounter any problem the first thing to be done is to see whether the new update is available on our site http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/ and http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. DavidPJ

Thanks Ilya. I'll probably wait 2-3 weeks and then upgrade to 800.

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I agree with Menorcaman that it's a good idea to download, but not necessarily install, each released version so you can switch versions at any time. Recently a new build version has been released every few weeks (build 800 was released on 27Feb2005). Im guessing that a new build might be coming soon so download build 800 now if you want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.