Just installed.  TDS won't show GUI.

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by RClarkofNC, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linney

linney Registered Member

Just a thought, while you wait for an expert solution.  Have you tried re-running XP's compatibility check from the CD while TDS-3 is loaded in the machine, to see if it finds anything?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Can't imagine TDS would run hidden, but something funny happened just now: i am editing an MSAgent script and forgot i had not added a function to unload/hide the character in the end and just typed Hide in the console. so the agent stayed there and my TDS console hid! while still running! as i had nowhere to write "show" i could only think of unloading tds with the contr+alt+del and start it again.
    This made me think so had to post it here of course!

And maybe editing the registry like in this example done for the TTS engines but probably in other folders for other software could open some options overlooked?
    http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/detail/tts3000deploy.htm

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi everyone,

This does appear to be a DLL issue, can you please confirm that the email to us about your system configuration arrived ? I don't have the email here..

It would be best to send this directly to Wayne, Wayne@diamondcs.com.au

4. RClarkofNC

RClarkofNC Registered Member

Gavin - I just re-sent my two messages to Wayne's e-mail address.  He should have them shortly.  Please let me know if you don't receive them.  Thanks.

Jooske, Linney - I haven't had a chance to try your latest suggestions yet (U.S. income taxes are due today!) but I will try shortly.

5. RClarkofNC

Jooske,
    My video resolution is 1024x768x32bit.  Pretty standard these days, I think.  The only othe monitor I have is attached to my kids computer.  That would be a major pain to swap, so I would rather not do that.  I don't think it would make a difference anyway since WinXP identifies it as a standard "Plug and Play Monitor".  No special drivers are used.

I installed XP as a clean install, not an upgrade to 98SE, so I do not have any of the SAPI 4 files on my system.  I followed the link you gave and have downloaded the SAPI 4 runtime.  I'll install it in a bit and will post here if it makes any difference.

I checked my pop-up blocker.  There weren't any rules that I think would have blocked TDS.  Also, the pop-up blocker was not running while I was in Safe Mode, so that probably isn't the problem.

Linney,
    I tried re-running XP's compatibility scanner while I had TDS running (but not visible, of course).  The only thing it didn't like is the driver for my parallel port scanner.  I would be surprised if that had anything to do with the problem.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

6. RClarkofNC

Still no word from DCS.  I updated my video drivers to the latest from my vendor, which are based on the nVidia Detonator 21.83 drivers, and updated my SoundBlaster Live! drivers to the latest from Microsoft.  No change.

Maybe someone who has it working on XP Pro could run the Faber Tools report so would could compare and see if there are any dll differences?

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sounds like a good suggestion, as in the private forum and here are people who have it running on XP Pro, so at least we know it is possible.
    I'll write DCS again; for sure they are looking into the matter, like Gavin said, so there must come an answer for sure, but i can imagine your frustrations.
    Worse, that it is only TDS with this: if there were more programs with this problem might be easier to know where to look........

8. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Richard please check your email, I think we've found the problem but I need you to verify for me :)
    Thanks

9. RClarkofNC

Wayne, I've sent the information you requested.  Hope you get to feeling better.

Regards,
    Richard

10. linney

linney Registered Member

Did you ever solve this problem?  Don't keep us in suspense, it's a bit like reading a book with the final chapter missing.

11. RClarkofNC

No, it's still an open item.  I haven't posted any updates since 4/19 since there hasn't been any activity since then.  In the e-mail Wayne referenced above, he said they think it's a problem with a Microsoft DLL and would send me some new ones after I verified the filesizes of the versions that I was currently using.  I sent him that info on 4/19 but haven't heard anything back.  So I'm still waiting.

Wayne was out with the flu for a few days before 4/19 and then they had the equipment upgrade problems, so I can understand some of the dealy.  Still, I thought I would have heard something by now since they think they've found the problem.  I only have one week left on my 30 day trial so I'm afraid it will expire before I ever get the thing running! :( :( :(

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm sure there is worked on it, just emailed again, as maybe an email was lost in the piles. Fingers crossed!

13. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

This all reminds me of when I installed TDS on a W2K box, then ran it with the firedaemon tool that allows you to run an application as a service. When I chose non-interactive mode (so that it would continue to run when the user was logged out) I could not access it in any way but it was there still running.

I was defeated in my efforts to get TDS3 to run as a service in this manner. If I configured it to be interactive, it exited on logout (not what I wanted).

Tiny Personal Firewall (now Kerio) runs as a service with no problem. A firewall wouldn't be much good if it only worked when I was logged in, since I do not turn my machines off at night. But a firewall is a far less complex piece of software (excluding Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server!)

I understand TDS4 will run as a service natively, this may also fix your problem. Who knows?

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

RClarkofNC,

Please do send this information again, we must have lost the email with some recent problems. Apologies for the inconvenience

15. RClarkofNC

I just forwarded a copy of my latest message with the OCX versions to tech@diamondcs.com.au (it was originally sent to wayne@diamondcs.com.au).

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hmmmm Richard, could you please have a look at this page here at MS with a new update for lot of systems, VM and java etc, which might add the necessary new ocx / dll files to your system? Never know.
    Did you also add the newest WSH 5.6 version
    It's described in security bulletin MS02-013
    http://www.microsoft.com/java/default.htm
    Really keep hoping!
    Please keep us updated! Thanks!

17. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

HI,
    I'm coming in on this a little late.
    I just came over from the TDS forum. I run TDS3 and WormGuard with no problems on XPpro.
    I have a text file from Faber toys if you think it would help.

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sounds interesting, can you send it to Richard in his mail/PM maybe? I really hope it helps! As every help is most welcome of course.
    Maybe you like to send Wayne@diamondcs.com.au a copy, just in case he finds something with that!
    Thank you so very much for your help!

19. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi jooske,

Sent-Richard
    Sent-Wayne

Hope it helps

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks grey_ghost,
    yes all of us hope so very much! Let's hope to hear good news soon!

21. RClarkofNC

Jooske, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check out those links to make sure I have the latest.

Grey Ghost, I'm glad it's working for you.  That give me hope.  I would love to have a copy of your Faber report so I can compare.  Thanks.

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Richard, there are several XPpro users who run it without much problem, maybe at the first configurations, but after all was ok in most cases.
    In my own case that Windows Script 5.6 and after the  VM update has solved lots of problems in the java and screen area and all that.
    So fingers crossed it works for you finally too!

23. RClarkofNC

Success!!!  Thanks to Grey_Ghost and Wayne, the mystery has been solved.  Upon comparing Grey_Ghost's Faber Tools report to my own, I noticed that there were three files that we had in common but with difference versions:
      c:\windows\system32\mswinsck.ocx
         (his: 6.00.8804; mine: 6.00.898:cool:
      c:\windows\system32\richtx32.ocx
         (his: 6.00.8804; mine: 5.00.3714)
      c:\windows\system32\tabctl32.ocx
         (his: 6.00.9043; mine: 5.00.3714)

Notice that my versions of richtx32.ocx and tabctl32.ocx are much older than Grey_Ghost's.  When I pointed that out to Wayne, he sent me the proper versions.  I replaced those files, rebooted, and now TDS-3 starts up without a hitch!

By looking at the file creation date on those two old file and comparing it to the file creation dates of the subdirectories in my Program File directory, I determined that it was Visioneer PaperPort, which I installed back in January, that over-wrote my good files with old versions.

Although TDS was not to blame for the old versions, I suggested to Wayne that perhaps the TDS installer could be modified to make sure the latest versions of those files were in place during the installation process.  That would keep other from having the same problem that I did in case they've run similar mis-behaving applications like PaperPort.

I'm running my first "full system scan" now and, assuming all goes well, they'll have another registered user this weekend.   :)

Thanks to everyone for all the help!
    :D

24. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm so happy you found it finally!
    And Faber Tools will certainly stay in your arsenal as well!
    For me TDS would be allowed at installation to test what is the latest version and overwrite older versions, for sure. Too often we find nice programs to test which do install and overwrite newer files on our system without even asking, with desastreus effects like in your case, and no way to get back unless we know where to look for the better version again.
    Hope to welcome you in the private forum too then soon!

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.