just installed avira 10 free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wutsup, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

what is avshadow.exe and for other avira 10 users do u also get it in task manager?

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Good question..... I got avshadow.exe too and I have Avira premium. I think it has something to do with the first scan where it scans every process and subfile, my first scan ran for 7 hours. I am just as perplexed as you as to the actual reason but I think it is just for the first scan to make sure you computer is clean.

3. bollity

bollity Registered Member

waiting for an answer

4. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Registered Member

Thats quite a long time, considering the first scan on my computer with avira 10 took only about 37 minutes with 150GB worth of files.

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I'll be looking in to cutting that time down. My run time before was about 40 minutes for 170 GB worth of files.

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i downloaded it from, official website which led me to download.com. it should be safe right?

7. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Of course its safe

8. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy
    Avshadow is our enhanced approach at this.

I guess the name can raise an eyebrow (thanks to whoever at Microsoft picked the name of the technology), but don't worry, the coast is clear :)

9. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ah ok thx for clearing that up, avira free version 10 is stlll good even with an extra process called avshadow.

i have another question if u dont mind answerng,

on the cnet review (http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20000834-12.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody) of avira free version 10, it said you have to register during the installation, but on previous versions and even in the newest avira version 10, u can just uncheck both checkboxes and continue installing without any problems. why did this reviewer on cnet say you have to register?

for other avira 10 users, did u register avira free during install, or just unchecck both boxes like i did?

10. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

AV10 Personal registration is not mandatory, like in previous versions. This information from Cnet reviewer is definitively false.

11. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

As is the information that we neither provide an uninstaller nor a removal tool....

12. johnyjohn

I really wonder if this guy installed AV10 Personal. :thumbd:

13. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

wait so john, the avira he tested was a fake avira rougue?

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

No, he tested the real thing but he has come short in giving proper details.

15. johnyjohn

Also this is is definitively wrong : all versions of AV10, also the free version do eliminate rootkits.

16. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ah ok thx for the info,

sorry but yet again i have another question. i did a full scan last night and when i woke up it looked like i didnt even start the scan, no report or anything.

so i just did a hidden objects scan(active malware scan) and it says i have 17 hidden objects. and here are the names of some of them and i cant remove them

antiviru.evt located in c drive/repair/backup/servicestate/configdirectory
    antivirus.evt same directory
    internet.evt
    tempkey.log

are these malware? or just false positive by avira

17. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

18. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey meri! thx for replying here as well. yes my secondary computer has had avast 4.8 a long time ago, is that where antiviru.evt is coming from?

also, avira 10 free works flawlessly on my main 64 bit vista comp, but on my secondeay home 32 bit xp comp its having problems scanning. the luke filewalkker scanner will just exit out when it hits 23% and it doesnt even log into events or reports. i reinstalled it, same thing. any ideas whats going on? right now im scanning it again but i created an exception to the folder where it just exited out at 23%(just some mp3s) and im waiting to see if itll finish properly

edit: i just watched it scan, and it seems like it gets stuck in a cycle where it keeps scanning the same files over and over, the files are mp3s, jpgs, and m4a files.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. mvario

mvario Registered Member

False, I got those also, and some other FP stuff. Wouldn't be so bad if it made it easy to ignore/exclude. I went back to version 9 for the time being.

20. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I saw someone with the same problem on another board. They solved it by turning off "Follow Symbolic Links" in settings.

21. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

wow thx man, thats seems to have solved it. in avira 9, even with symbolic liniks on it didnt do this...maybe avira 10 needs to be tweaked some more.

also, this doesnt happen in my vista 64 bit comp. maybe it happens on just soe computers

oh yea thx to meriadoc also

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I always had strange behaviour during scans when checking "Follow symbolic links" and "Integrity checking of system Files" with version 9. I don't think they are really necessary (please advise if I'm wrong) as they are not default, and I'm not using them in version 10.

23. johnyjohn

Hi,
    Windows has many hidden objects. After the look of these files, they are harmless (log and configuration files), so you have nothing to worry about.

24. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

I noticed all the complaints regarding the continuing of the update/notify/advertisement in the thread titled "Avira 10, When?", but decided it is better to post my comments here since I am running the release version. I decided to give Avira 10 Free a try as I got tired of the anti-virus in CIS 4.0 killing my updates in QuickBooks Enterprise.

Anyway, I am running Avira 10 Free for several days now and only saw the pop-up advertisement after the first update after the initial install. Avira is updating daily, but no pop-ups here. Is everyone else having the same experience or do you think Comodo might know to block the pop-up? Really just curious, but I like it!

My three computers with CIS 4.0 (firewall and defense +), SAS paid, Immunet/ClamAV and now Avira seem to be running very smoothly.

25. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i did another full scan today and the hidden objects dont show up anymore. maybe the updated database fixxed it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.