Just how safe is Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sosaiso, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

This is the first time I've tried using a computer without more than an antivirus installed.

It might be how long its been since I've worked with a Windows box, but I don't feel quite right without my HIPS, firewall, and what have you on a Windows system.

So, posing the question, just how safe is Windows Vista? How does the built in firewall rate against protecting me?

I can't seem to find that many security software that work with Vista, so I guess a free HIPS can't be use with this computer.

My followup question is, if Vista isn't safe, how does one go about securing a Vista box?

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Are you behind a hardware router?

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can go into computer management on your computer and turn on the advanced security in your Vista firewall. It will definatly help with your securing Vista. Vista is inherently more secure than XP but a good av and as doesn't hurt. Avast av works very well with Vista as does Avira.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Some Vista compatible firewalls:

LooknStop
    Comodo
    Outpost Pro
    Jetico

I dont about know free HIPS but there are some paid HIPS for Vista.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

6. sosaiso

Have you used this firewall on Vista? Does it cause any conflicts with other programs such as antiviruses? How does it do against leaktests? Does it prevent process injection?

And I am using Avira Antivir as we speak, bigc. Thanks for the tip on the Vista firewall. I can't seem to find the option for advanced options though... Are you talking about the Advanced tab?

To answer AKAJohndoe, I am behind a hardware router/firewall/NAT, but I plan on roaming on my wireless, so better safe than sorry!

Thanks WSFuser! I didnt' know Look N' Stop worked on Vista. That's something to look into...

7. AKAJohnDoe

The Windows Vista firewall is OK when behind a router. I would add more myself if not.

8. acr1965

9. acr1965

Well I tried WDF with my Vista. It started out pretty well but developed some sort of memory leak or something. After a couple days of running Process Explorer shows it using 150,000k. It started out around 13,000k and steadily climbs.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you use the default FW and look in the logs you'll see vista spends most of it's time contacting MS. you can run a sniffer too and watch all the connections.

11. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

You can read a comparison between XP and Vista regarding leaktests :
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/articles/vista_and_leaktests.html

Vista is more secure than XP, which does not mean it is secure (I mean that if you try to get infected, you will succeed). I still like the Vista's added security margin, but keep in mind that alone it is not enough.

About firewalls and HIPS for Vista, Comodo Firewall Pro v3.0 is working very well on Vista 32bits and x64.

Regards,
    gkweb.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well, we´ll see how secure it is. I have reinstalled Vista and the only security I have is Look´n´stop firewall and a limited account. I will run it until something happens. I will scan it now and then when I remember to see if the antimalware finds anything.

13. AKAJohnDoe

Vista out of the box passes the Shields-Up tests. I turned off automatic updates, but left it on to check and notify me, and a sniffer, or the router logs, show no unusual connections; and no contacts to Microsoft. Secunia is probably the best source for how safe an OS is.

14. sosaiso

Thanks all for the responses.

I decided in the end, I will just be running a VMWare copy of XP to do any dangerous surfing and deal with my trusted sites in a NoScript Firefox. I think this is the best option for surfing around the internet.

I also decided to use Webroot's Personal Firewall. It is a fairly interesting program, with lots of customization as well.

15. acr1965

I have the program icons in my Windows Vista taskbar set to execute each program with one click. But when do two clicks quickly UAC will stop the program from executing for the first click but not the second. The second click will allow the program to execute freely, even while still waiting for permission from UAC for the first click. I wonder if malware could somehow take advantage of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.