Just how effective is the antispyware engine in NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by psychoticpickle, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychoticpickle

psychoticpickle Registered Member

I have Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1 on my pc and would rather get rid of it as it's beta and not release software.

Is the NOD32 antispyware engine good? How good? How does it compare to other products o_O

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

The best is to use the search links that are provided by Wilders Forums and i am sure u will find out all the answers.

3. psychoticpickle

psychoticpickle Registered Member

Can you point me in the right direction (a link maybe) I'm only new here.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try this thread.

Cheers :D

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

At this time, I would suggest keeping the M$ antispyware to partner NOD as it will find things that NOD doesn't detect as well as having other inbult tools inside it

no ONE piece of software will fully protect you and a layered approach is much better

Nod is new at the anti-spyware "game" andeven though it does detect and remove a lot of the threats it is an antimalware tool rather than a spyware preventer like M$ antispyware which prevents home page changes and other system changes which NOD is not designed to do and cookies etc as well

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I recommend a layered approach, I take that with all my clients PCs, and on new deploys.

*All windows updates
    Microsoft Antispyware(even though it's Beta under Microsoft, remember the product has been around for a while under the previous company "Giant", and it was well regarded)
    *Spybot Search and Destroy, updated and immunized
    *Lavasoft Adaware, updated
    *SpywareBlaster, updated and enable all protection
    *Google Toolbar to help end users from straying down the wrong path from some popup.

I did a 2.5 install on a brand new Small Business 2003 network I rolled out last week, was onsite yesterday and already saw an alert from one workstation where it stopped some browser hijacker from installin on her rig.(musta been shopping online during lunch break)

7. sedell

sedell Registered Member

In my experience, no one product is 100% against spyware. When I have to clean a heavily infested machine, they all seem to leave behind a number of nasties. The best bet is to use a couple of different spyware scanners.

That being said, NOD32 is by far the best of any anti-virus programs I've used at catching spyware/scumware. The HTTP scanning alone has prevented countless spyware/virus installs from installing through the internet on our network.

Another advantage to the anti-spyware specific apps... they'll scan the registry for spyware installs and startup entries. I don't believe NOD32 does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.