Just click to shut down

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Today I wanted to shut PG down to download Windows updates. I just clicked on the X and it shut down . No 4 letters to copy . Is this something wrong? I have been having to type in the letters that were floating around on the box.

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

You probably removed WM_CLOSE protection from PROCGUARD.EXE.

3. WilliamP

How did I do that?

4. reneighd

reneighd Registered Member

William, try open up process guard and click procguard.exe. go to its option and try see if theres a check under "close message handling" if theres none then enable that.

hope it helps.

aloha,
    reneighd

5. WilliamP

It doesn't even mention close message handling. I tried removing and reinstall and its the same thing . Everything seems to work except that.

6. nameless

It may be that PG_MSGProt.exe is not running. Go into the services applet (Start > Run > services.msc > OK) and see if the PGMsgProt service is running. Or you can check Task Manager for PG_MSGProt.exe.

7. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I also noticed that when u click the x, pg shut down, and no 4 letters to type in box, but now i have clicked on pg.exe, and in options, i have checked close message handling, and everything is ok now.
    Sorry for interupting your conversation, but thanks for that tip to fix the problem.

the mul

8. WilliamP

Thanks guys. I finally found the Options you all were talking about. All is fine now.

9. nameless

Sorry I wasn't more specific... I haven't had PG installed for awhile, and couldn't remember the exact wording of the option.

10. the mul

Can any of u please check in pg list under pg .exe, and click on options and tell me if u have a check in allow global hooks as i am not sure if i checked this by mistake.

thanks the mul

11. nameless

I remember that with PG 1.200, the file PROCGUARD.EXE did have "allow global hooks" checked. That was the default.

But what is "pg.exe"? That file doesn't get installed with PG 1.200 at all. Maybe they changed it for PG 1.300, I don't know... Is your sig (which says you run PG 1.200) out of date?

12. WilliamP

Well I now have that problem taken care of thanks to all the help. Now if you would like help on another question. As soon as I open Internet explorer the PG window log fills up with Nortonn Firewall tried to Write, Terminate,set info ,suspend iexplorer.exe. How can I keep it from doing that?

13. nameless

What you would do is add the Norton Firewall executable to PG's list, then "allow" it all the privileges it tried to obtain, as seen in the log.

Some people will tell you that you should not grant the "allow" access unless necessary, but do you want the log to be flooded with those entries? Do you know if it is "necessary" to allow the firewall those privileges? I doubt it, and neither do I.

You either trust the software you have installed already or you don't--and hopefully you trust Norton Firewall. So grant it the access it needs. It may be more theoretically secure to only grant the privileges that are absolutely necessary, but I'm not really interested in malfunctioning software. But I'm a wacky guy that way.

14. the mul

Sorry for butting in on your post william p, but i also have norton firewall installed, and protected with pg 1.300, but no such log appeares when i open i explorer everything is ok.
    Nameless i am running pg 1.300 and pg .exe is short for process guard .exe, and i was wanting to know if u have global hook checked under options, for process guard .exe, as i checked close message handling box to fix earlier problem, i am not sure if i checked global hook by mistake.

thanks the mul

15. nameless

Ah... You said "pg.exe", so I took it literally. I don't have 1.300 installed, but the EXE used to be PROCGUARD.EXE. Yes, that has global hooks enabled by default.

16. the mul

Thanks nameless, you are a life saver, and your help will not be forgotten.

thanks again

the mul

17. WilliamP

It is the Norton Firewall Symproxysvc.exe that is causing all the logging with iexplorer.exe. Which one do you have to do the allowing on?

18. nameless

Since it is Symproxysvc.exe that is trying to obtain the privileges, you need to go to the Process Guard window and add Symproxysvc.exe to the list of programs, then select Symproxysvc.exe and select all the privileges it needs under its "Allow" options.

It seems as if Symproxysvc.exe is a program you should be protecting in Process Guard anyway--so adding it to the list is a good thing not only so it doesn't complain about not getting the privileges it needs, but also because it can be protected. The "Block" privileges won't need to be altered after you add Symproxysvc.exe (i.e. every "Block" option for the Symproxysvc.exe entry should be checked).

I know it is confusing at first... If a program is in the list, and has certain "Allow" options selected, that means that the program itself can perform those "Allowed" actions on other programs in the list. If it has certain "Block" options selected, that means that other programs are blocked from performing those actions on that program (unless they themselves are also in the list, and they have the applicable "Allow" options selected). It's all in the help file. :)

19. WilliamP

Nameless , I do have it protected by PG . So should I click on Symproxysvc and allow the write,term.,set info,and suspend? I do appreciate the help.

20. nameless

21. WilliamP

I have gone in and allowed Symproxysvc.exe and now I'm getting no logs. Thats great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.