June 18th - major announcement from Microsoft!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My point exactly. So that may reduce chances of being a significant player.

2. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft didn't detail the international availability of Surface yet. This doesn't mean that Surface "will only be available online and in Microsoft stores", it only means that Microsoft still didn't talk about the availability in detail.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

To be honest, i don't think this will really be something successful, they will sell some but not enough at the end and it will end up being a fail project IMO. :D :D

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I noticed Paul Thurrott raised some interesting points today:

But what many on-site reports from the day of the launch didn’t care to mention is perhaps the most bizarre bit of all: The Surface tablet doesn’t even exist. It’s vaporware.

The devices that Microsoft showed off earlier this week weren’t real; they were simply prototypes. And anyone claiming to have gotten “hands-on” time with a Surface tablet was exaggerating, at best: No one was allowed to touch a working prototype, so those typing videos occurred on dead pieces of hardware without a working screen.

So that raises the first obvious question: Why did Microsoft suddenly rush to announce this device family? The company didn’t alert the press to Monday’s event until the previous Thursday, giving press and bloggers just days to book expensive last-minute travel to Los Angeles. What was that all about?

http://www.winsupersite.com/article...et-microsoft-takes-apple-mimics-google-143481

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It looks very clever, but if I had 700 quid on me & I was looking for a laptop/notebook equivalent, I'd probably spend the money on a decent laptop. I won't need to touch the screen & the keyboard folds up with the machine when I close it. ;)

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Seems like an effort to stimulate the idea of 'Metro' being a (soon-to-be) established full-spectrum 'OS'; PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone, giving more credence to the Sinofsky/Metro Win8 overhaul decision.

8. PoetWarrior

I'm wondering if the fiery debate over Windows 8's metro is starting to weigh on the company. I noticed how Ballmer sent out an email praising MS employees and that seemed more like a pep talk to tired troops. Internal divisions inside MS might be widening and deepening. We shall see.

9. guest

guest Guest

Are you joking or spreading FUD intentionally? I already pointed several screenshots of reporters playing with Surfaces. If you missed it:

Examples:
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet 8.jpg
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet7.jpg
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet6.jpg
    - http://www.neowin.net/images/galleries/1497/tablet9.jpg

And search for videos with the keywords "hands-on" "surface"...

Stop denying the reality, dude. It's getting wild.

It was about Surface. Great marketing, great device. Surface is real. I know, the truth hurts, and such a winner product certainly hurts your deep anti-Microsoft sentiments. But to deny its very existence? WOW, you went FAR!

Yes, yes, ~Comment removed~ Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  10. Lou Knee

Lou Knee Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's keep the personal attacks out of the threads on this forum.

12. PoetWarrior

Paul Thurrott is the source for this information. If you have a problem with it take it up with him and try a little less angst. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  13. guest

guest Guest

Just more anti-Metro rants - now from June 7, 2012 (FYI, that was 2 weeks ago).

Surface wasn't even mentioned in the article from a blogger of Zdnet that you quoted.

Vaporware isn't lack of some information about a product that will be released soon. Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially canceled.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  14. guest

guest Guest

Global economy, global economy... such comments are empty of meaning IMO. PC worldwide sales didn't slow down even in the worst moments of the over-hyped "crisis". There is no reason to believe such sales will slow down now that the biggest economies are recovering and growing again.

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

well, i'm sure most people are more concerned these days about filling the gas tank than buying another consumer appliance.

the situation in Europe at the moment is not very good, if you been watching the news.

16. guest

guest Guest

Is that influencing in worldwide PC sales? Is it slowing down? I don't think so: the numbers continue to grow year after year (albeit you could argue that they would be growing more if it wasn't for the crisis, and I agree - but that's irrelevant for this discussion IMO).

The situation in some European countries isn't good (Greece, Italy and Spain, I think). But Europe is comprised of approximately 50 countries..

17. moontan

we'll all know within a few months for sure.

anyway, back to the tablet... ;)

18. guest

guest Guest

Pages 2 and 3 of this thread are full of info about Surface.

I want it asap, the Pro version of course, although the ARM-based looks exciting too.

I can't wait to say bye bye to my HP dv7-4069wm. These units of HP are presenting severe hardware issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  19. moontan

my guess is probably ready for the holiday shopping season, since they haven't released any ETA

20. Daveski17

Do you have any (unbiased) figures for this? I am seeing small independent computer shops/stores closing down in my country & we aren't even in the euro.

Really? Which economies are these? China? Japan? Germany, Greece? I doubt MS will sell much of anything new in Europe.

21. Daveski17

And how many of those are in Eastern Europe and are poorer than Greece?

22. Daveski17

I used to think Top of the Pops was exciting. I'm not particularly excited by Surface. In the present economic climate, I can't see Carphone Warehouse shifting many of these.

23. guest

guest Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share_of_leading_PC_vendors#Unit_Sales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate_(latest_year)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union#Economic_growth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GNI_(nominal)_per_capita

We don't even know if Carphone Warehouse will sell Surfaces. I'm excited with Surface because of its tech aspects: it is a great device with unique features, it's bringing several innovations to the market. I see potential in Surface for a big success in terms of sales (it's a natural winner), but I don't really care about Surface in such "economic terms" - I'm not a shareholder of MSFT.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

25. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.