June 18th - major announcement from Microsoft!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

The studio luckily offers enough room for all the ponies.
    Can find any solid info besides rumours and more speculation;

'Sources tell me that a new tablet will be announced on Monday with Barnes and Noble. The two companies announced a “strategic partnership” in late April with Microsoft investing $300M into the joint business dubbed “Newco” for a 17.6% equity stake and Barnes and Noble owning 82.4%.
    The event would be the first public showing of what the two have been working on and may answer the question of why the invite was so bare – because they haven’t announced anything yet and the joint operation has yet to be named. Another source says the tablet may be the first non-Xbox device to gain Xbox Live streaming capabilities, which might explain the location of the event.
    ' link

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

3. elapsed

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Let's see what is the hype about. :D

5. elapsed

6. guest

guest Guest

'Microsoft Surface' Windows 8/RT tablets announced

Microsoft surface tablet on video, complete with dubstep

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  7. guest

guest Guest

8. guest

guest Guest

Hands On: Windows RT Surface

Microsoft Surface RT tablet appears to have 1366x768 display

Microsoft Surface for Windows RT features a Nvidia Tegra processor

9. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft announces Type and Touch Covers

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Let's see how things go. I got the impression that Apple's margins on the iPad are pretty high. If they feel threatened, slashing prices will be good for customers.

11. guest

guest Guest

Sincerely, the latest iPad can't compete with the technology of this "beast" built by Microsoft. Surface is an astonishing device, superior in every way. Compared to it, the iPad looks dated, dumb and extremely fragile. IMO Apple needs to come up with something new and better as soon as possible - but the problem is, Apple already announced their new devices for this year! So, right now, things are starting to smell badly for Apple. The several upcoming models of Windows 8/RT powered devices from other big names of the industry basically won't give the right for Apple to set any price advantage too.

As a side note, take a look at that video made by Microsoft. It's nothing short of amazing. Looks like Microsoft finally has a marketing department that's able to compete with/outperform Apple's. I'm truly impressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo&hd=1

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

13. guest

guest Guest

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Microsoft has made a few good design decisions towards productivity - the integrated keyboard/touchpad and the built in stand, will really help bridge the gap between current tablets and laptops (esp Ultrabooks), which are still the preference for content creation amongst office workers.

They just need to get these devices to market quick to take advantage of the oppertunity they have to make an impression in the tablet market.

Cheers, Nick

15. guest

guest Guest

True. The kickstand and the Type and Touch Covers are amazing. Other impressive unique aspects are the magnesium case (world's first) which was shown to be very resistant. And the Gorilla Glass! And magnets! And superior technical aspects in every way (especially the Pro version). This is a device I'm really looking forward to buy.

Agreed.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I got iPad 2 for my wife and never liked iOS.

While using it( and the iPhone) I always felt myself tied with ropes. I could not even straightaway download and save things via the browser. Android was different in this respect so I liked it( though it,s UI is far less polished than iOS).

Now I think that a windows tablet will be superior to both. Actually I had already planned to get one instead of a new laptop but I was thinking of an Ausus transformer with Windows 8 but now I doubt if Asus can come out with some thing superior to MS Surface.

I am having a close eye on windows phone too. Wish they make windows phone 8 just similar to Windows RT tablets.

I will wish some things to be added though:

- retina display
    - thunderbolt ports
    - an extremely good battery life( at least identical to iPad or Asus Transformer prime)

My guess is that MS Surface might destroy android tablets very soon and will alsochallenge iPad,s dominance after some time.

Only way for Google to fight it will be to polish Android more and more up to the level of iOS, to support peripherals like printers etc on android tablets and to tightly control android apps to get quality apps in their app market and avoiding crappy apps.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Watching this -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmudUDv3GA-. Pretty impressive.

Edit: "every micron matters" (~ 36:33) should be the pitch!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wish they could kept the Surface pro tablet,s thickness and weight just equal to the ARM one( while making ARM one more lighter and thinner, just like Transformer prime pro or toshiba tablet).

19. guest

guest Guest

I like it. :cool:

20. elapsed

How do you propose they do that when the chipset itself is critically different? It's an x86 tablet not an ARM tablet like the transformer. It will be able to run desktop apps like games, it has to be beefier.

I could see myself replacing my laptop with one when we hear more about pricing and performance. But that's the whole point of the product, to be a laptop and a tablet.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

A side issue was the fluency of the three speakers. No irritating humming and hawing and searching for words. The guy who moderated the Linus session (-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShbP3OpASA&feature=relmfu-) was quite irritating even though he had notes!

22. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

They look interesting but it's way too early to tell, especially since no one outside of Microsoft was able to use a working version (i.e., from the comments I read, the people who attended the event were not able to use a working version, keyboard, get that close to working models, etc.).

Anyway, since this is a security forum, my question is will we need/have to run anti-malware software on these devices?

23. guest

guest Guest

They were able to use working versions. And the native OS is Windows 8/RT which comes with an improved version of Windows Defender with full anti-malware capabilities (= Microsoft Security Essentials) and other security improvements like system-wide SmartScreen.

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

hopefully for Microsoft that new tablet thingie fares better than their ill fated attempt with the Touch Mouse for Windows 7. ;)

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.