Jumpto - Internet Privacy Software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mssme, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mssme

mssme Registered Member

Has anyone tried this? looks like something new.
    http://www.jumpto.com

I am thinking of trying it, but wanted to know if anyone else has.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I looked at the website and can't quite figure out what they are offering. The talk about being secure over wireless so perhaps it's a VPN service like Hotspot Shield? I don't know what the point of using their proprietary browser is. They have a free option though so you could just try it and see what you think.

Edit: I created a free account and installed the browser in a VM. After logging in I did an IP check and my location was in the next state. FWIW the Calomel SSL Validation plugin in Firefox turns green (secure 100%) on the jumpto website - stronger then my bank website. I need to see if can import my bookmarks into the browser - that would make it more usable. Also worth noting there are no ads in the browser. The 250 megs of free bandwidth are free and clear. They hope to make their money selling additional bandwidth. The 250 megs per month might or might not be enough depending on what you do. As far as buying bandwidth there are considerably cheaper VPN services.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

From the FAQ:

Jumpto utilizes an encrypted multi-layer proxy system installed on the client and on Jumpto servers in order to improve performance, reliability and security. When a URL is accessed via the Jumpto infrastructure, the client proxy resolves the request locally and forwards to the remote proxy relay for fulfillment and return. The user’s machine is essentially the device that initiates the request and fulfills the response, resulting in user comfort regarding the security and integrity of the data.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This is just technical marketing and meaningless to most people. How does this service compare to any other VPN and/or Proxy service? Hotspot Shield can be used for free without bandwidth constraints.

5. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

The problem I have with this service and Hotspot Shield is I am unable to trust them, especially since they are out of reach of US authorities. If you want added security, you would prefer not to add untrusted servers between you and your bank.

It's more difficult for a hacker to get into your bank account because of the structure of a bank's login service. But if they can intercept your login transaction, then their job is much much easier. It won't take long for a pro to decrypt most passwords once they have it in a file.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Not sure what you mean. Do you think it's preferable to use open wifi instead of Hotspot Shield because you don't trust them?

What do you mean by "the structure of a bank's login service", and what is the implication of "it won't take long for a pro to decrypt most passwords etc"?

7. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

Unless you have a trusted VPN provider, I think it would be best to avoid using WiFi hotspots for banking.

At a bank's website, they make it difficult to hammer away at guessing someone's user-id/password, but if you have that info in a file, then it is relatively easy to decrypt it using dictionaries and common patterns.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, agreed. Just the fact that someone can look over your shoulder in a public place should discourage it. To make matters worse online banking is moving to cell phones where there is even less awareness of security.

Unfortunately that's probably true in many cases. Anyone who takes security seriously though is going to use something like LastPass to generate long randomized passwords instead of the usual pet name, etc, and those require some serious effort to crack - hopefully more than worth the hacker's time in the case of my sad bank accounts LOL.

9. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

That's a good idea to use random passwords generated by LastPass or Keepass, and store them in both apps. It's also a good idea to use multi-factor authentication wherever possible.

10. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

Question is do they log your activities and your IP when you use their service? And why must you use their browser? I dont like that idea. I think your better off using a VPN that has a record of protecting peoples privacy like PRQ, Ipredator and Faceless.me

That is just my opinion though.

11. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Some people would call that a major plus! (They cant order them to show traffic,etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.