Julian Assange tells students that the web is the greatest spying machine ever

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Daveski17, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

3. nix

nix Registered Member

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's also the greatest communication device ever.

5. Daveski17

Yeah, he may have shot himself (& us) in the foot there! ;)

6. Daveski17

Yep, & there's the irony!

7. Daveski17

Hmmmm *strokes chin* that's interesting. Supergrass doesn't actually want anyone to read what he has to say.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

As a bystander, I wonder if he and/or his lawyers are doing a little "CYA". I don't particularly like the man, or the trouble he's caused, but he's got a right to be heard.

9. Daveski17

Luckily my Google dictionary recognises 'CYA' otherwise I may have taken a while to figure that out! ;)

I think it is a balance between being able to have a freedom of speech & certain aspects of not allowing that freedom to compromise any form of national security. It is nice when he embarrasses some particularly mendacious politicians (yes; I'm talking about you Blair!) & that can't be bad.

The whole rather sorry episode of the early release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi & various clandestine deals with Gaddafi for oil will haunt Blair (liar, liar, pants on fire), hopefully, especially considering what is happening now.

In the US, you have, in many ways, more access to information than we do in the UK. For instance, there are certain declassified British documents I can easily obtain in archives in America which I can't in Britain! I don't know about you but I ceased trusting anything my government says 'officially' a long time ago. Quite frankly I'm bored with their consistent porkies.

So in that respect I'm a bit ambivalent about Mr Assange.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Tell me about it...;)

11. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

Yes, he has caused a lot of trouble for the US government and its corporate cronies.

Be afraid. Muslims want to bomb you because they hate your freedom.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

On your first point, that's why no one can ever see things for how they are or see how dangerous things are becoming. They're too busy focusing on one thing to see the big picture. You're not paying enough attention if you think the whole Wikileaks debacle was just a shot at the U.S government and only hurts them.

On your second point, that's offensive. Not every Muslim wants to play with bombs and thinks everyone else is an infidel. Hopefully you were being sarcastic, otherwise you're a part of the problem.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Possibly, but those ways are running out. We weren't even allowed to see our overhaul health bill. To quote a particularly shady individual: "In order to see what is in the health bill, we have to pass the health bill".

14. Daveski17

Yeah, it's come to the day that you automatically assume the government is either not telling us the whole truth or just telling out & out pork pies. At least there is some consistency there though LOL! :D

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not even the Vatican is honest... Can you see the real irony here? ;)

16. Daveski17

That's interesting. I assume your 'Patriot Act' has something to do with much of this new secrecy. It's a shame really. I think that at one time, both in the UK & the US, we were convinced we had got democracy 'right' (in fact in the UK we often try to claim that we invented democracy ;) ) but I am starting to worry now.

Of course, I could just be paranoid ...

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The Patriot Act is an entirely different monster from what we're dealing with as far as secrecy in matters other than defense. No, that boils down to what the big man on top said publicly before he was even voted in. That, if he wanted to know about something, he'd go to the unions, the think tanks and interest groups. He never mentioned going to the people. That was our red flag moment, and, as a whole, we blew it.

The Patriot Act is the little gem that is responsible for half the threads in the privacy forum. Remember that wise old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"?...Yeah.

18. nightrace

Wikileaks exposes corruption in all governments, the powers behind governments and the collusion of the corporate news media. It is you who is not paying attention.

"They hate us because of our freedom." Those are the words of a former US president, not mine. I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

...Is that not what I said in my post to you? You're the one that specified "the U.S government and their corporate cronies". I said they were one part of the bigger picture. Here, I'll even say it again: "On your first point, that's why no one can ever see things for how they are or see how dangerous things are becoming. They're too busy focusing on one thing to see the big picture. You're not paying enough attention if you think the whole Wikileaks debacle was just a shot at the U.S government and only hurts them.. Go ahead and read post #12 of this thread again. Now, who isn't paying attention?

P.S, yeah, the president said that, but let's remember he was talking about terrorists, not Muslims as a whole. Anyway, my guess was you were sarcastic.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  20. nightrace

Did I say that Wikileaks only hurt the US government? No, you did.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Actually, read my post (12) and yours again. Again I will quote you "U.S government and their corporate cronies". You specified no other government. Therefore, anyone (especially in this forum) reading that, will read that as a slight against the U.S only. But, if you believe, as I do, that it hurt many, many others, then I support what you say.

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread closed following the removal of a large number of posts that had no mention of "Julian Assange", "students", "the web" or even a "spying machine"... just very heavy on political viewpoints, and with a little racial commentary thrown in, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.