Judge Rejects RIAA's Attempt To Claim 'Trillions' In Damages From Limewire

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good lord, lol. These people aren't just greedy, they're stupid. Even if they counted each time a file was shared, it would still be in the millions, not billions, and sure as hell not trillions. Unless of course each track/album was ridiculously expensive to buy legally, which of course would lead to one of the bigger reasons piracy exists. If they bothered to sit down and look at data, and not just dollar amounts, they'd see that only a handful of the biggest artists are the targets of the majority of piracy. I MIGHT be able to count them on both hands. The rest pirate artists that generally aren't selling much, if at all anymore due to age.

Considering most of those artists in that handful that get pirated the most, weren't even known prior to 3-5 years ago, I'd love to see how they figured up the trillions numbers even taking into account each time those files were shared. These people, including the movie industry, are inches away from a gold mine, in the form of ad-supported music, TV, and movie streaming, but they won't pull the trigger because all they do is focus on something that can't be stopped. No matter how much they sue, no matter how many times the government sweeps in and kills thousands of innocent websites to get to a handful of piracy websites...they can't stop it. The ONLY thing they can do is this:

1. Get out of the courtroom.

2. Get in a meeting room.

3. Get artists and actors/actresses involved in discussions.

4. Listen to those people.

5. Start collecting advertisers.

6. Get EVERYBODY on-board, every music label, every movie studio.

At this point, there are a few ways to go. BUT, there cannot be one model here, one model there. Everyone HAS to agree on a set model, and choose one of the following:

A: "All you can eat", ad-supported, free streaming, with the option to buy the music/TV shows/Movies at a REASONABLE price.

B: A REASONABLY priced no ads service paid for monthly, again, with "All you can eat", with the option to purchase, as above.

In both cases, music should be streamed at the highest quality and available to purchase at the highest quality. There should be no 128K streams, and there should not be a "pay this much for this quality, and this much for that quality" model. There CANNOT be services as there are now, with certain music/TV/movies available here, but not there. That is the NUMBER ONE reason they aren't making any money from the digital world. They also CANNOT keep practicing the "this much money for this much quality" model. Both of those are taking money out of their pockets..lots of money.

No one wants to go to Hulu for this, and Netflix for that, and elsewhere for something else. Nor, do MOST want to pay depending on file/stream quality. That model doesn't even make any sense. The way they conduct business now, is actually hurting them far more than the pirates are. And the artists are hurting more than the execs are. No one is winning as it stands. Pirates get sued and/or jailed, labels and studios are spending more on lawsuits than they are making on their products, and what little the artists get in the first place after paying everyone else, is being taken away from them too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  3. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Sounds reasonable to me. The GDP of the United States is about 14 trillion dollars. I think maybe if we give them 30 to 40% (about 5 trillion USD) of the output of the United States for a year, maybe they'll take it easy on us and stop suing everyone.

I'm fine with that solution. I for one would be happy to give them 1/3 of my paycheck for a year (after taxes of course). :thumb: They clearly deserve it.

Next year we can start work on tackling the national debt.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

:rolleyes:

RIAA can just waste their time and money on unreasonable lawsuits.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm so glad I sense the sarcasm, lol (God I hope at least).

6. I no more

I no more Registered Member

I don't have a serious bone in my body. It seems it doesn't matter how silly I am, about 70% of people don't get it.

I wonder if I'll ever learn. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.