JonDoFox browser?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnikf, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Have you used it, what do you think about it?
    Is it made by known and trusted people?

2. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Nobody here used it?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I recall reading about JonDo (then called JAP) many years ago, when I was first learning about "anonymity" technology. I decided against using it for a few reasons.

It requires Java, which I'd rather not use, especially for anything network related. Also, you need to pay to get decent speeds, and throughput is quite expensive (e.g., 100€/month for 5GB/month, or 30 € for 5GB over two years).

It sounds more like Tor than a VPN: "It acts as a proxy and will forward the traffic of your internet applications multible encrypted to the mix cascades and so it will hide your ip address."

What are the pros and cons vs Tor and VPNs?

Echoing Gnikf, has anyone here used it?

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have used Jondo Fox. I like the portable version. I can tell you it offers very good privacy, and anonymity. I can also tell you that you may have to do some configuring of your own in order to use Jondo Fox on many websites. It's default configuration makes it not work with many websites.

Is there something in particular you want to know about it?

7. I'll pass. I have used their LIVECD, not sure if it had JAVA. If it did yuck....

Overall thought it was crap and waste of time.

8. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I experimented with tor and jondo for about a week and decided against it. It's easier to just tweak my firewall and browser and run through a free VPN like security KISS. Anymore seems like over kills, unless your honestly trying to hide from some three letter agency. Let me give you a clue, don't use technology and lay low out of sight. Bin Laden figured that out. Besides it's usually the applications and the operating system that give you away the most. So if you run jondo then your likely going to want to run an anonymous OS. There was one mentioned a couple months ago. Whonix or something like that??

9. mirimir

Are you referring to just the browser, or does Jondo Fox portable include their mix network client?

I rather get that from reading the output of their IP-check site.

If you use the paid version, how fast is it? Is it faster than Tor? I presume that it's nowhere as fast as AirVPN, for example ;)

It seems from their site that one must configure their proxy for each app and port, like Tor. Is that correct?

Also, I'm curious whether they are limited to TCP like Tor. But I can google that ;)

10. mirimir

What does "anonymous OS" mean?

Whonix is an implementation of Tor in Debian which separates the Tor client and userland in separate VMs. No matter what happens in userland, short of VM breakout, it ain't messing with the Tor client.

11. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Guys please note that im talking about JonDoFox the browser NOT JonDo the proxy cascading proggie.

Really the second doesn't seem to have any advantages compared to TOR but speed, but anyway i'm asking about the JonDoFox browser.

It's basically a Firefox profile pre-configured and strapped with bunch of privacy and security plug-ins.
    It looked pretty good to me and was wondering why nobody is talking about it here. Because to my newbie eyes it seems like really neat and free privacy solution for browsing, ready out of the box.

p.s.
    of course you have to be on VPN as well

12. mirimir

True. Sorry.

I suspect that there are more Tor Firefox profiles online than JonDoFox profiles. If that's so, JonDoFox is less anonymous.

But maybe it's more secure?

13. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

well it restricts most stuff and i believe you can set a browser agent tag so... should be ok about this?

14. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

Use it everyday (with VPN) and really like it! Yes you can trust JonDo. Also from time to time use the JonDo paid service and it's very reliable / fast.

15. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Anon_Proxy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....o_O

16. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

17. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

interesting find mate, but i'm not interested in using their proxies.
    I just would like to know if some trusted security expert has examined the browser and it's all good to go and has no backdoors or whatever.

I just found it suspicious that something looking pretty good isn't widely used by the security aware people here, for example.
    So wanted to make sure that the BROWSER is ok :)

18. mirimir

OK, so I just reread those.

The bottom line, it seems, is (1) that it would take international LEA cooperation to backdoor JonDo, and (2) that it's open-source, so people would figure it out.

But we just had a thread (FUD, in retrospect) about backdoors in OpenVPN. And backdoors could also get added to Tor, right?

Does anyone argue that JonDo's design is easier to backdoor? If not, then it's all old FUD, I think.

19. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

backdoors in OpenVPN? OMFG!

20. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

The problem is that if you do not use any technology you become a suspect in the first place. What do you think gave CIA a clue where Osama resides - it was an internet/cell phone/communications black hole.

21. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Ok so the overall conclusion is that JonDoFox and JonDo are quite good?

They have had their problems and had the chance to prove they can do the right thing.

But why I keep wondering is why they are not popular at all?

Basically they are in the middle between Tor and VPN
    You've got 3 hops, which make it much faster than Tor and 3 times more anonymous than VPN.
    The browser also seems to be well pre-configured.

22. younameit

younameit Registered Member

I think JonDoFox is very well pre-configured and they even work on a JonDoBrowser to further reduce the chance leaks and tracking.

I think they are two reasons for people not using it.
    1) Their strict security settings break websites and thus reduces the fun of browsing.
    2) They bill by traffic and this can be expensive for people who consume a lot of media.

So people choose less anonymity for more comfort IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.