Jetico with NTWrapper: is it secure during boot/close down??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SamSpade, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

For Stem, in particular, can you test this?

If anyone else knows, please chime in !

//

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello SamSpade,
    I can see from your recent posts, that you have some concerns about the safety of your PC during boot/login.
    I will of course test this for you, but could you tell me what O.S. you are using, as I would also like to point out a number of possible ways to protect yourself. (do realise that a lot of firewalls will not protect you during boot, this is mainly down to the need for DHCP (so your PC can get an IP),... some will give an option to block or allow traffic during boot, but actual packet/port filtering during boot is only available by a few firewalls.

3. SamSpade

Thanks, Stem. I'm using XP sp2, all updates. And for the record, I use NOD32, SpySweeper (real-time anti-vir turned off), and am trialing AVG anti-malware (used to be Ewido) currently running in real-time with no apparent conflicts with anything else.

//

4. SamSpade

You've got my concern down right, Stem.

Btw, do you have a list of firewalls that *do* give the option of blocking traffic during boot/shut-down? I know SunKerio 4.3 does (but, good Lord, what a RAM hog).

//

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi SamSpade,
    I have installed NTwrapper for Jetico. There is a period of about 5 seconds while booting to login screen that the PC is unprotected, but there after jetico is running and filtering (while waiting to login). During shutdown, the PC is unprotected (on this setup).

I dont have a list.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Stem, have you tried to test during user switch? If I understand correctly NTWrapper restarts the service automatically
    Thanks for your feedback

7. SamSpade

Thanks for your effots, Stem.

So, even with NTWrapper running Jetico as a service there is still a period when the line into the computer is unprotected??

Any suggestions on how to close down that vulnerability, short of disconnecting the line?

//

8. SamSpade

In addition to SunbltKerio, what other fws *do* allow one to close off the connection until the fw is loaded? Outpost 4.x?? ZA Pro?? LnS??

//

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, the cable:D
    Unplug it when shutting down, plug it only when you log in

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Its a case of disabling un-needed windows services, so that ports are not left open. From my own setup, all ports are closed during boot/close down.
    I will need to find time to check. As some firewalls give an option to protect during boot/close down, but they can also block DHCP and cause problems.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I logged off to the login window, and Jetico was not filtering. So the PC is unprotected at that time.(unless I have missed a setting some where in NTwrapper)

12. lucas1985

Do you mean disabling NetBIOS and the likes, hardening with WWDC, using static IP, etc?
    I readed it here
    Check "restart application"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes. There are also other service`s that should be looked at. (example: "Remote Registry" / "Computer Browser")

14. lucas1985

Thanks, my doubts are gone :D
    My security setup is almost complete now and it´s time to read the Jetico tutorial, the sticky and the Nautopía(Spanish) tutorial

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have made this setting, but when I log off, there is no filtering while at the login screen.

16. lucas1985

Just to clarify: that post suggests that exists a time interval of 20 seconds between logoff and the restart of Jetico. Have you considered this quirk?

Off topic: I am using PeerGuardian(IP blacklisting). Outpost offers the chance to import the lists. Is there a way to do this in Jetico? If so, what´s the impact on firewall performance and resource usage?
    Thanks again

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  17. shek

shek Registered Member

lucas1985---

You could take a look at here, the post #128 and #138

18. lucas1985

Great :D
    PeerGuardian removed :D

19. SamSpade

Sure, that's one option. What I am looking for is an ironclad way to maintain security (packet filtering or some other method) while the machine *is* connected during boot-up/shut-down.

I know some firewalls give you the option: Sunbelt Kerio 4.3 does, and I believe Zone Alarm's got a service (possibly even a driver) that stays on from the time the computer starts to boot and until the machine shuts off.

I'm looking for firewalls or other options that can keep the computer shielded. It's been said that Jetico running as a service is better than running as an app, but there is still some few seconds that it remains vulnerable. I'm trying to close that vulnerability without unplugging cables or turning off the wifi connection.

Anybody know something about this ??

Thank you in advance for sharing it here.

//

20. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Why don't you just disable all the unencessary services so that all of your ports are closed when you don't have a firewall? That way, nothing can happen to your computer since no services can be exploited. Use tcpview from sysinternals to determine what is listening on what port, then search around the web for solutions to close that particular port.

I do know that SKPF has an option to prevent all packets when shutdown and reboot occurs, but it doesn't do any real filtering, just blocks the packets, which isn't needed if nothing can be exploited anyways

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

SamSpade: I understood you. I was just trying to lighten things up. It's not the end of the world for the firewall not to load ASAP. I know it's always better to have the Firewall load right away, but until then the cable won't fail:) . If it can be improved though, it should be improved.:thumb:

22. SamSpade

Thanks, Alpha, I'll give that a look.

Is it only services that I need to check? How about drivers, or are they finally working through services they activate in order to do what they do?

Sam

//

23. SamSpade

Yeah that !!

:)

Sam

//

24. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Just see whatever is listening on a port, using tcpview, then disable whatever it is, whether service, application, etc.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

25. SamSpade

Could you post the list of services you have disabled (for port protection). Also, how long you have been doing this without problems, and also what problems may have occurred after disabling those services??

Many thanks, Stem.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.