Jetico v1: Rules for Windows Update?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mrsteel, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsteel

mrsteel Registered Member

Hello.

How to set up Jetico in order it doesn't ask tens of questions every time Windows Update installs new patch?

When new patches are downloaded from Microsoft and their installation begins, several update.exe programs are executed. Each one is executed from a different directory with a random name (letters and digits), they modify many system files and write to program memory of most currently running programs.
    Jetico alarms because of suspitious program activity and opens literarly tens of confirmation dialogs (e.g. "Attacker tries to modify application memory...").

How to configure Jetico rules so that the Windows update runs silently at the background? Is it even possible (without disabling the whole module for monitoring programs behaviour)?

Thank you,
    Martin.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello mrsteel, Welcome to Wilders

There is no way to make exemptions in Jetico for random named files/locations.

3. mrsteel

mrsteel Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

Few days ago I spent many many hours on reading about firewalls and choosing a replacement for my previous Kerio firewall (as it collides with some apps I use). I had two (freeware) candidates - Jetico v1 and Comodo. However Comodo has been reported as buggy and poorly coded (and thus with possible security holes), hence I've chosen Jetico.

Jetico v1 has reputation of an able-to-set-everything and once-set-needn't-care firewall for technicians. Now, I must say, I'm disappointed. It seems that at least the "able-to-set-everything" attribute has been too excessive.

Now I must search for another firewall. I cannot install such a paranoid firewall as Jetico on a computer that is used also by my non-technical wife.

Have a nice day,
    Martin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.