Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cartman, Jun 29, 2006.
Just wondering if anyone improving jetico firewall?
Next version under development, mail them if you can't trust me
They think to release the beta version in the middle of July...
Any news about this? We are at end of July now.
Would be interesting to know which kind of improvement there will be in the next version. But let's be patient.
Jetico Personal Firewall for Windows v2.0 public beta released on 1st August, 2006.
Looks like Jetico has dropped support for Windows 98/ME with version 2 of their personal firewall.
Thanks for the info,
Thats good news. Changelog? Download Url? Nothing on Jeticos homepage.
Important notes. Read before installation.
* Jetico Personal Firewall v2 is beta software. It has numerous improvements and may contain bugs.
* Please do not use it on production systems.
* Please uninstall previous versions of Jetico Personal Firewall software before installing this one.
* Installation program does not mark Jetico Personal Firewall server to start at boot time. Instead, it sets server startup type to "Automatic".
* Jetico Personal Firewall package does not contain Configuration Wizard program.
* Windows 9x/Me system support discontinued. Please use Jetico Personal Firewall v1 for these systems.
* Jetico Personal Firewall v2 runs as privileged Windows service. It can protect computer before user logon.
* Native support for Windows XP Fast User Switching and Terminal Services.
* Jetico Personal Firewall supports Access Control Lists for all main functions. Administrator can configure ACL to grant access to particular firewall functions for any user or group.
* Windows XP Service Pack 2 Security Center support.
User interface changes
* Improved rule editing interface.
* New popup message. The new look for popup dialog is presented. Popup message text and rule creation options can be modified.
* Firewall variables formerly controlled by Configuration Wizard, are integrated into main application window.
* Language file support for easy localization. All translatable words and phrases are taken from single UTF-8 encoded text file.
* New XML-based open configuration file format. Detailed documentation is available upon request.
* The new version maintains single protected firewall configuration for all users.
* Simplified controls for configuration.
* New hash handling scheme. Separate table for hash checking.
* Each firewall filtering layer has own root table.
* New automatic variables (per-connection) for local connections are supported.
Changes in firewall rules
* Rules support lists of parameters where possible.
* IP rules support IP address ranges.
* Low level protocol rules support filtering by MAC address.
* Application rules have events for direct and indirect access to network. Indirect access details are also available.
* New module for hash checking created.
* Application, Process attack and Hash checking rules support wildcards in file paths.
Logging subsystem changes
* Log entries can be associated with rule.
* Firewall can create rule based on log information.
* New WELF-compatible text log format. WELF is supported by many log analyzers.
* Improved log control.
http://www.jetico.com/ follow the links for JPF at bottom of each page
Changes are listed in their website http://www.jetico.com/.
I hope that the rules of version 1.0 can be importet to version 2.0. If not a lot of work is coming up.
There are two XP versions:
Jetico Personal Firewall for Windows 2000/XP - 2845 kB
Jetico Personal Firewall for Windows NT4(SP6)/2000/XP
I think the first one is for Win XP SP2, the second one supports also NT4.
you are running 2.0? First experiences?
Rules creation popup now looks a little like outpost pro.
A little buggy on rules, but still playing.
Ok, i will give it a try now.
After a clean install Jetico (jpfserv.exe; jpf.exe) is running as a process but not appearing in the Systray.
Error message: Could not connect Jetico Personal Firewall Server. Can not continue.
After that jpf.exe is shutting down.
Trying to uninstall; not working 'Error read log file, err code )'.
This is haeavy Beta
If you cannot uninstall, try first to stop the Jetico service~ control panel / administrative tools / services
Done this before without uninstall succes, deleted the files, cleaned registry by hand than. Trying a new fresh install.
Ok, there seams to be a problem with the Jetico Server Service. It's _not_ starting. Shows status 'starting', and startup type 'manual' but won't run. Starting manual is not possible.
Are you running on an admin account?(not that is should make a difference). Must be some conflict on your system
Yes i run an admin account. The rare thing is that the jpfsrv.exe is running, but not the service.
P.S. You should merge this thread with http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141530
Can you exit Jetico from the tray icon, then try to start the service.
There is no trayicon
I just looked up the service and security logs. Everything ok. By the way tyring to clean my registry from Jetico and Neoava entries. Perhpas there is the problem. How can i delete "Lagecy" entries. Getting acces denied.
Ok after several attempts to install Jetico 2.0 i resign.
Can't get it to run on WinXP SP2. The service won't start. I checked event/security/file etc logs. Everything clean, admin account.
Back to jetico 1
Separate names with a comma.