Jetico problems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ghost2003, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Sounds awesome :D Out of all the firewalls I have used I am currently using Jetico. While it is not perfect, I find it far better than many.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Duke, great suggestions.. I look forward to seeing version 2 for sure. I always did like Jetico pretty much, it seemed very good. The only thing that annoyed me was the quantity of popups you had to go thru to get the rules set up and get things under control. But once you get it set up, it's really a good firewall.

3. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Kerodo - Yes there are alot of popups especially at first. I think the most annoying part of Jetico that causes alot of popups is the "access to network" for applications. Untill that gets improved some more you can get rid of the popups for that by creating a rule either in the Application, Ask User, or System Applications tables - verdict: accept, protocol: any, event: access to network.

JPF is only one of a few advanced firewalls I would even consider running. Its not bloated, its packet filtering abilities are quite good, it is very configurable, and it shows alot of detailed information in its logs. Also the support is very good too.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am looking forward to seeing version 2, but one thing I hope they manage to fix is the situation where it gets into an infinite reboot loop when it encounters certain conflicting software/drivers. One example it had trouble with during install was if you were running Avast AV. It rebooted, then needed to relocate it's drivers or something due to a conflict with Avast, so it rebooted again, but some people found that this reboot was an infinite loop, rebooting over and over, in effect hosing your system, since as soon as you broke out of the loop manually, there was crap left half installed and hanging, messing your system up pretty good. I heard several people say they had the problem on various systems, and I myself encountered it once and had to reformat to clean up. This is one thing they need to make sure is fixed for good in v2. Oddly enough, I had this problem when Avast was installed first, however, another user had Avast installed and had no such problem. So there is more there than meets the eye. Needs looking into at any rate..

5. Ryan1F

Ryan1F Registered Member

i suggest that you use another firewall :ninja:
    the one that simple to use but also provide strong security..:doubt:

6. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

I have Avast too here and running Jetico without problem. Maybe because I have only the standard shield from Avast active. I think Web or Net shields are of no much use when a firewall is also running.

7. A nony mouse

A nony mouse Guest

A little update for people having problems with jetico denying apps without checking.
    There seems ot be a problem with windows XP with versions 1.0.1.61, 1.0.1.60 where without checkin or detecting if an app is trying to connect it automatucally gets rejected. where as 1.0.1.60 works ok for windows 2000, and 1.0.1.61 seems broken. From what I 've tested 1.0.1.59 works fine with XP for me so maybe thats the go until JPFv2.

8. A nony mouse

A nony mouse Guest

Got 1.0.1.60 to work with XP but Adobe Acrobat speed launcher interferes, After disabling that it seems to work fine.

9. khazars

khazars Registered Member

version 1.0.1.61 works fine for me on XpSp2!

10. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Here also !
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.