Jetico Personal Firewall 2.1.0.5.2385 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Jetico Personal Firewall 2.1.0.5.2385 Released

Whats New
    • Stateful inspection engine improved.
    • Resolved problem with IIS7 incoming connections under Vista or Server 2008.
    • Process protection enabled for Windows 7.
    • A table's default action restored after import or clone operations.
    • Popup dialog now supports empty groups list.
    • "Critical system object modification" event parameters corrected.
    • Application accessibility improved.
    • Romanian translation provided by Mihai Iepure.

Download: Jetico v.2.1

2. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

SPI improved.Great.

I still can't understand how to use Indirect Application Protection.It will inspect Application Chain.If a application want to access the Internet,we have to allow all the applications which relate to that application to access the Internet.It is not convenient that set the rules of indirect application protection.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'll give this a whirl on the vm, maybe tonight. I've been very disappointed with recent releases; they have become less stable and headache inducing for me, so I've dropped it for some time now.

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

You're not the only one. I recently set an allow all rule for Indirect Access to Network.

I've used this firewall for years, but I'm getting tired of the click-fests that occur for indirect access attempts every time I install something. I've been pondering reverting back to Kerio 2.1.5.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's what I eventually ended up doing as well, otherwise I'd have been battling arthritis in my hand induced from the constant clicking of alerts o_O

6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I gave this a run for its money four months ago
    and that is why I removed it also....and back to my
    old friend Outpost....I cant live without it

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Install went fine in Virtualbox, but the GUI won't display on desktop, nor the icon in the system tray, even though the two processes are active. Got an error: "Unable to connect to the server 0x0000...." Maybe it doesn't like the virtual environment? Oh well, too bad but not entirely unexpected either, given he way this once fine product has devolved :(

8. 0strodamus

wat0114, that's too funny. Are you still running Jetico? Your last post makes it sound like you aren't or did you just test the latest version on your VM prior to upgrading your current version? If you have ditched Jetico, what did you replace it with?

I upgraded to this latest version and didn't have any issues (maybe I got lucky). Actually, I've upgraded with every new release and have never had any problems (knock on wood for the next one).

I played around with Kerio and it was like a trip down memory lane. It's too old now for me to go back though. For example, there's no way to create packet rules with it (i.e. no way to create a rule such as "TCP with flags FIN PSH URG (Xmas scan)" from Jetico's defaults). I've been playing around with Look 'n' Stop Firewall, but Jetico seems so much more straight-forward to me, but it could just be a familiarity thing though.

I must say that I really like Jetico's rule editing. Using tables and not having to hunt through unresizable or obscure settings windows to find things is nice. I miss not having a sort function for the IP and Application Groups, but that can be handled by editing the rule file manually with a text editor.

I've thought about trying Outpost, but I remember reading something a long time ago on Matousec's website about Outpost using some tricks to pass some of their tests. If I remember correctly they were passing certain tests just by detecting the test module instead of actually blocking the test module's functions. That turned me off to trying Outpost in addition to the fact that both Kerio and Jetico were free at the time. Maybe I should give it a try; I see it is very popular among the Wilder's crowd.

Anyway, my apologies for this wall of text I was just curious if you were still running with Jetico or not.

Darrell

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I haven't really used J2 since March, so I've been using my incumbent Outpost (my original favourite), but I did give this latest J2 version a try on the vm and, of course, the results were not good. I've reported it in the Jetico forum (Smokeys) so we'll see what transpires from that. My problem is I'm always flip-flopping between one security software to another, never really sticking with one security platform for my pc's, maybe because I get bored with one after a while and need a change of scenery, though not really sure. It's an addiction, I guess :D

Seriously, I feel J2 is/was a phenomenal firewall up until a couple versions ago when the developer "improved" the stateful ARP inspection and supposedly improved upon some other issues :rolleyes: These latter releases have displayed stability issues I didn't see in earlier versions, and enabling the stateful ARP inspection kills my internet access, an issue that I simply could not resolve, in spite of efforts reporting it in detail in the forum.

If it is working for you hassle-free, then I'd say keep it, because it's one of the lightest running firewalls offering excellent packet filtering capabilities, as well as above-average system process protection. It's just that for me, for some reason, it's no longer the stable product it once was, especially, if memory serves, ver 2.0.0.34, 2007. It was rock solid.

I seem to remember that matousec accusation against the product some years ago, but I can't remember the details. I believe the version was 4.0.x.? Anyways, I can't comment one way or the other because I don't know if the claim is fact or not. Outpost's newest release, versions 6.x, is a completely different, re-tooled design in comparison to the 4.0.x releases, so I doubt those techniques matousec alludes apply with these latter versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  10. 0strodamus

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad that you've had those issues. I started to think maybe I haven't had the issues you have had because I didn't have the stateful ARP inspection turned on, but it is. I guess I must be lucky that nothing on my system is causing any conflicts. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Jetico, but I'm going to give Outpost a try on my VM. We both suffer from the same addiction. ;)

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, I'd say the majority of us Wilders members suffer it :D Anyways, good luck with the Outpost trial.

12. sparviero

sparviero Registered Member

Jetico is unique !

Indirect Access to Network, you have to understand this, but you can simplify your life, try to create and use application group .

Have fun ..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

sparviero, that is an excellent idea :thumb: I've just learned something new :) I have always created an application group which included all common system executables that required indirect access, such as rundll32, csrss.exe, smss.exe, and so forth...but your suggestion simplifies this, although my method is probably a little more restrictive because it allows indirect access only to exactly what is in the group. Thanks! BTW, I have this version installed on Vista SP2 since last night and it is working great, even with stateful ARP inspection enabled, although my issues with recent versions occurred on XP.

14. sparviero

Yes, you can create "Groups" .

Have fun ..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Indeed, and that is what I did when I last used J2 on XP. A screenshot shows one of my groups for Indirect access" from my .XML config. There is really quite a lot of versatility available with this product.

Attached Files:

16. sparviero

Jetico is very versatile and transparent, you can configure as you like.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.