Jetico leaves ports open ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Banshee, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

folks,

I installed jetico and went to grc.com to test it, for some reason grc claims port 1025 is open. I also went to pcflank for another test and there, the results showed port 135 and 1025 open.

any idea how to close those ports with jetico ? I really don't understand what's causing this. I should also point out that when I first installed jettico the "system" asked for inbound access to port 445..I didn't know what to do so I blocked it. :doubt:

any help appreciated

2. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi, you have to create a rule to block port 135 (rpc) and I believe 445 (MS DS service) which is used for shares. For some reason Jetico didn't create a 'block all other ports and protocols' rule, most likely for the people that need those ports. But, they should have given users a choice... I tried it for a week and found it to be a good fw. But was a little concerned with the 'Optimal' rule set not blocking all other ports and protocols not currently being used. Especialy if you are on a DMZ or a stand alone workstation... Creating a rule for those ports is easy, just create a rule in the system networking section to 'reject' the packets on those ports you mention. Overall, a good fw that I will keep my eye on.

CU
    Jazzie

3. Banshee1

Banshee1 Guest

Re: Jetico leaves ports open: and port 1025 ?

hello Jazzie,

thanks for your response. How did u block port 1025 ? did u make a rule for that too ?

tia

4. Jazzie1

HI Banshee, that is the odd part! I didn't have to make a rule for that port. I am normally behind a spi router. I wanted to test Jetico in a 'real time' enviornment and placed myself on a DMZ without any filtering . That is where I was getting slammed with 135 and 445 inbound attempts. If you want to make a rule for that port just go to the system network side and make a rule to block (reject) inbound tcp on a single port of 1025. It should work fine...

I am currently back to CHX-I. (very good SPI packet filter).. So I can't export a rule to you...

CU
    Jazzie

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like it too and will follow it as it changes. Right now they still seem to be making a lot of changes and fixes to it, so I'll probably wait till things settle down a little before looking at it further..

6. Jazzie1

I hear you that! They are making good progress though...

CU
    Jazzie

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Banshee

Windows Worms Doors Cleaner by gkweb a Expert Firewall Tester will close them:- WWDC

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.