Jetico & Hyde

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by scudalan, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scudalan

scudalan Registered Member

Hello, Although I'm new I've been here a few times ever since I decided to let my NIS subscription lapse and find something which could do the same job at least as well and without as much resource overhead. For that I must thank this forum for helping me learn very quickly what my options were.

I've been using Jetico for the past month on my laptop and after some reading here and starting afresh a few times, I think I've learnt enough to make a reasonably efficient set of rules. As it's behind a NAT router I put it on the DMZ and ran a few tests I found mentioned around here to check threats coming in, going out and simply trying to change things inside. They all seem to pass ok.

All has been well but this has not translated into complete success on my girlfriend's computer. It installed well and worked flawlessly on her account (admin) however on her brothers account (admin) it doesn't work, keeps explaining it needs to be reinstalled, prevents web browsing and prevents logging off and shutdown, all symptoms which people here have reported occasionally. What's puzzling is that it only works on her account, his and any new ones she creates don't work. I am asking if there is a solution or at least an explanation.

Obviously starting from scratch with a clean format would be ideal however commitments prevent me from doing that at the moment.

While I have your attention (:D ) I might as well ask 2 less relevant Jetico questions:

Seeing that Jetico apparently asks nearly every program for network access, would a program such as Processguard be almost a doubling of work? As I presume anything malicious would be asking for network access in the Jetico sense anyway.

Stemming from that I just want to doublecheck that granting network access does not bestow that program with the ability to make/receive connections or send/receive data without there being explicit rules or it being listed as trusted. Is this correct?

I hope this wasn't too long for a first post. If I've omitted something important in my explanation, please let me know. Thanks for your time. :thumb:

2. scudalan

Two more questions have also sprung up which I would be grateful for advice on.

Stem produced some fantastic rulesets for various applications which really put me on my way to better understanding the logic behind the rules, however I am having trouble with Messenger Live in conjunction with your Messenger ruleset as it seems to crash because remote port 80 and local port (approx) 2000-2300 are blocked. These seem to be for the advertising and without that new exception I can't make it last more than 5 seconds. Is there a better way around this?

Also has someone successfully configured Jetico to allow Ewido to update? I have tried making all sorts of rules but nothing still seems to work unless I temporarily set the policy to "allow all" as it updates.

If I've started a thread when I shouldn't have please let me know and I'll post in the relevant section instead. Thanks.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have just set up another "admin" account, but not having these problems you mention, I didnt do a lot of testing, but Jetico was running o.k. and I could connect out, and shutdown the PC. (Are you using "fast user switching" I did not check this). The only problems I have come across with "user" accounts, is with "limited user" and a problem for the "limited user" to access the Jetico logs files (creating a "shared folder" for write access to the logs solved this)
    I would use both, it is an extra layer of defence (not all malware/viruses will attempt network access, and those that do can cause damage to your system before the network access is attempted)
    Yes
    If this is causing problems,.. Just add a rule into the messenger ruleset for this.
    Set Ewido in Jetico as handle as "Browser", I have just set this up, and Ewido is updating o.k. with the Browser ruleset.

4. scudalan

Yes I made sure it wasn't simply user-switching as I've seen the nightmare it can become with other programs trying it. I think I will simply start afresh with that computer when I have a chance to.

Other users who are complaining about the tight security settings on it are the ones who are causing the situation to require it in the first place, so they can wait. :D

Thanks for the information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.