Jetico fw. Access to network requests - from apps that should never need a connection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by birdofprey, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Re: Jetico fw. Access to network requests - from apps that should never need a connec

Where?

event.jpg

Are you thinking of "Protocol"?

protocol.jpg

2. Vulcan_

Vulcan_ Registered Member

Re: Jetico fw. Access to network requests - from apps that should never need a connec

Yes you are correct I was thinking of "local sockets" under Protocol.

Event: either "any" or "access to network" was selected
    Protocol: "local sockets" was selected for certain windows process dependencies needed for Firefox to function

Access to network I assumed allowed access to 127.0.0.1
    Protocol set to "local sockets" restricted traffic to local ports?

I didn't independently test with any tools to see what packets were passing, so I'm not sure if only web traffic is actually what the firewall was allowing through with that configuration.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The events~"Any" / "Access to network" will allow that application access to all windows sockets.

Only if this address is within the trusted zone
    I am not completely sure why this is added as "Protocol", selecting this for "IE" makes it crash. I have not made any tests on this, so unsure at this time.

4. Vulcan_

http://gambasdoc.org/help/doc/network

http://www.melikyan.com/ptypes/doc/streams.namedpipe.html
    Would seem to confirm my thoughts in principle.

Again, I haven't actually verified that JPFv1 acts by passing traffic in this way.

5. Vulcan_

It would crash if you set IE as local sockets, because IE needs TCP/IP to send outbound traffic.

From my understanding "Local Sockets" would be used on one of the OS system process dependencies like "explorer.exe", potentially "svchost.exe" "lsass.exe" "csrss.exe" processes that only talk to other system processes or applications. or for an application like DU meter, that only needs to read loopback.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It was allowed to connect out, it was during a browse that it crashed.

7. Vulcan_

Well, honestly I'm not sure what Jetico developer's definition of "local sockets" is under protocol. I hoped you might have a better understanding of this, since you shed a lot of light in the 30 page thread. If Jetico's definition of "local sockets" reads similar to any implementations like those expressed in the links above, it would appear that "local sockets" is intended to restrict traffic to communication between processes on a host machine.

Edit: IBM link

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...ibm.ztpf-ztpfdf.doc_put.cur/gtpc1/locals.html

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As I said, I have not taken to time to look at this fully. But I would of expected this to of been an "event" if indeed it is for the restriction of access to local sockets rather than full access to winsock.

9. Vulcan_

I haven't either, hopefully someone poses this question to Jetico Developers. :D

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I will send an e-mail.

I currently have Jetico1 on a VM. I just changed the rule for "Explorer.exe" to "Protocol~ local sockets": "Event~ Any", performed a search and "explorer.exe" then made outbound connection attempt to MS (as it does), there was no alert from Jetico1 due to that rule (It was the host that actually alerted me to the connection attempt)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.