Jetico as a Windows Service

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bosca, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosca

Bosca Registered Member

For anyone who is interested.

I am playing with NTWrapper (www.duodata.de/ntwrapper/index.htm) which allows you to run an application as a service. Uisng it to load Jetico as a service. Seems to be working fine.

There is both a "lite" (Freeware) and a "pro" (Shareware) version.

2. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

I've found NTWrapper quite some time ago. Am looking for the same utility to make Jetico run as a service but too lazy to google... Thanks for the link! :)

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anybody explain what is the benefit of runnung it as a windows service rather than an application.
    Thanks.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi aigle,

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Stem!

6. JeromeC

JeromeC Registered Member

Here I explained why I wanted this for my own use ! I'll definitively try this, thanks.

But... here I explain why it will certainly be a problem if it runs as a process, unless you guys help me solve this issue !

7. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

8. JeromeC

JeromeC Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I have switched back to Kerio long ago though since Jetico was certainly fine but damn too complicated to handle for a simple mind like me.

9. acowild

acowild Registered Member

Once you get the hang of general tcpip workings, Jetico is an amazing firewall. I really like the tree structure design and with the it now workign very nicely as a service I doubt i'll be looking elsewhere soon. I am still using v1 and after investigating a bit, have applied the windows utils SrvAny and InstSrv to load the firewall as a service.
    Apart from everything else the size of these 2 utils is 40kb and the loader is only 8kb and takes 1mb in memory once up and running. Bit of fiddling gave me interactive mode too so I can still have it at optimal learning setting with all the alerts and windows.
    Seems to be a very good solution, I should've searched for it earlier.

ps. If people are looking to get these, they are in the most recent resource kit for windows 2003 as well.

10. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I assume you are using Jetico 1 because Jetico 2 (jpfsrv.exe) is running as a service or do i miss somehthing?

11. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Nope you didn't miss anything. Jetico 2 runs as a service, but version 1 is started by explorer.exe upon startup and logging in.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

12. Jack_Brody

Jack_Brody Registered Member

So what is happening when a computer is running but no one is logged in? The communication is completely uncontrolled? :eek:

13. Jack_Brody

Warning: don't use Any2Service to turn Jetico into a service!
    Use NTWrapper instead although it is a commercial application and you can make only 1 service in its lite version (but that's enough for Jetico :) )
    NTWrapper has the option "Restart application" which you need to tick for Jetico. It then restarts Jetico after it exits when it gets user-logoff message from system.
    Any2Service is attractive as it is freeware, but it's very simple and lacks this "Restart application" function. That's why it is useless in this case.

14. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Very interesting,but i assume that if you use Jetico 1.0 alongside a Router you're pretty well covered even if it doesnt run as a service.
    I'll keep in mind your suggestion about NTWrapper for the not so remote eventuality i have to use a mobile connection in the near future.

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

That is a very serious shortcoming.
    Means Jetico 1.0 is not a complete firewall. Needs always a router at least. What happens when one has a system that reboots itself back to login state and one has only been depending on Jetico for unsolicited inbound connections? Leave it that way overnight etc., maybe nothing happens if system is patched?

16. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Hello Jarmo P,
    i dont think it is that serious if,as you infer,you have a patched system and if you have an antitrojan like Boclean or an antivirus like your Avast,which is a service and perhaps with its Network Shield provider can compensate for the very brief time Jetico is on holiday.
    Regards,poirot

17. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Hi again, Alpha,

This is a significant point you make. It means that as soon as one is logged in Jetico 1 is "working": does this mean that no data can come or go into my system *before* the system completes booting?? If so, then running as a service is no big deal.

Or am I missing something important here ??

//

18. Jack_Brody

You might say it this way. But when the system completes booting, the computer gets to the logon screen. And the network subsystem is loaded at that time as well. And even if you do not log on, many services start up and open their ports and are able to communicate. And Jetico is not here to filter this communication ... :doubt:

So I think it is a big deal to run Jetico (or any firewall) as a service.

19. SamSpade

Thanks, Jack. How about being behind a Dlink dsl router -- protected or not? If not, why not?

//

20. Jack_Brody

Sam: with default settings the DSL router does not forward any incoming connections to the inner network (as it does not know to which computer - you might have more than one - it should be forwarded to).
    So you may relax, you are protected enough.

But if something on your computer initiated outgoing connection, the router would permit it...

21. SamSpade

OK, thanks Jack.

//

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.