Jetico and Windows updates rules

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by luvhirez, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvhirez

luvhirez Registered Member

Hello,
    im new to firewalls and have just got jetico.
    Im a little paranoid when it comes to microsoft.
    I use mozilla and want IE to only be able to get windows updates, nothing else.
    what rules should i make as i only want to let IE get the update and install it and not allow it to recieve outbound requests for other IPs or other nasties.

Cheers :)

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There should be windows update rules in the default Jetico rule set. So you're ok there. For IE, just run it and Deny/Block all outbound access.

3. luvhirez

hi, thanks for the reply,

when i try to run WU. iexplorer keeps asking to connect to windows update addresses. if i deny them it will just fail wont it?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Oh, sorry... I see what you're saying now. I assumed you were talking about Automatic Windows Update. To do the Windows Update from the Start menu you'd have to use the browser yes.. Then you'll need to allow IE. I suppose if you knew the exact address for WU then you could put that into your Allow rule, but it might change every time you do WU, so that would be extremely awkward and impractical.

Easiest thing is to just use the Automatic WU and let it update that way. For that there are rules already in Jetico's default rule set.

5. luvhirez

Thanks kerodo,
    I might have to do that,
    But if anyone else knows a way to do it. ie which addresses and which proccesses to allow. im all ears :)

cheers

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sorry I can't help you with the addresses.. Perhaps someone else will know..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.