jayzzz's thread

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Pieter_Arntz, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi jayzzz,

I can certainly imagine you needing some sleep after working on your computer all night. :D
    If your computer gets overheated from that, it's not a good sign. Let's see how it holds out.

*Still having fingers crossed and hoping it will work out for you

Regards,

Pieter

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

lol i had to clean my fans today lot more air in pc now

no loud noises anymore

i did it witha straw works great

3. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Funny you should mention that Blaze, I cleaned the dust from mt case last weekend, but with a can of compressed air, not sure about using a straw!

4. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Mr.Blaze,

That was your second post that had nothing to do with this thread (or did I miss the point you were trying to make?)
    I would be very grateful if you would kindly stop the side-tracking.

Don't make this deputy call the sherrif. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

5. Pieter_Arntz

Hi jayzzz,

I found some info on these:
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

These entries could be made by Spybot's Immunize function. If you check "Lock IE" in that program, these entries show up.
    So there is no harm in those.

Regards,

Pieter

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you, Pieter. I'd hesitate to guess what I "Locked" in IE, but my interests in experiments being what they are, it's probable I did something just to see what difference it might make. Spybot scan squeaky clean last night, but Ad-Aware found more items that in a long while. Ran Ad-Aware first. Is there a recommended order in which to use the Ad-Aware, HijackThis, and Spybot? The order I've listed in them is the order you originally instructed me to use them in, but that was probably coincidental to circumstances rather than any plan. Still, maybe not, so I'll make the inquiry and see what answer it brings me. Do they find the same or different things, according to what they were set up to do? (appreciate advice, as you know) mj

7. Pieter_Arntz

Hi jayzzz, :)

The following order in which you use AdAware and Spybot is of little consequence. They are both supposed to do the same. It´s just that one finds a little more of this and the other of that.
    HijackThis is a different story. It is meant as a troubleshooting tool.
    Let´s say you know something is wrong, but Adaware and Spybot can´t find a thing or don´t solve the problem. That´s the time to run HijackThis.
    It can repair things and disable programs from starting up, but you need to clean out the mess afterwards. Either you use a program or do it by hand.

Hope this helps,

Pieter

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Re:eek:rder of usage

Yes, it does, Pieter...with HijackThis, you very kindly interpret the results for me and tell me what messes I need to clean up. Then I do as instructed.

I was pleased and surprised that the other computer in the house showed as little as it did through that scan. That wasn't the one you said you didn't get all of, was it?

Thanks,
    mj

9. Pieter_Arntz

Hi jayzzz,

I think we had a little misunderstanding there.
    I did receive the full log, but I didn´t completely understand it. That is what I ment by I didn´t get it completely (my English :doubt: )
    We did resolve that in the meantime. I didn´t understand why the UPnP service was starting up on a Windows 98 machine, but you cleared that up.
    It is necessary to study HijackThis logs carefully. It is easy to miss something. (I should know. Been there, done that.)
    It is no shame to ask advise or second opinion on those. I know I do when I´m not sure.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.