Java

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hogndog, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I ran into problem with my Java icon in the control panel one thing led to another then after a while it became more than just replacing that icon. I've never fully understood why we need Java -games- -security- i know it helps some programs to perform better? One thing i know for certain it can be exploited and wreak havoc on our machines. When i started using a computer one day up popped a balloon that said i needed Java so i just took it for granted it was needed -well- is it? o_O

Tia..
    Hogndog

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it is only needed if you need it! :p

the only way i would install Java is if it was required for work.
    otherwise, i stay away from it and apps that requires Java.

3. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Good answer I'm using the Dragon browser with Java turned off rather its a setting that doesn't allow sites to run Java script and its the first time I've used it. One thing I've noticed is that Ghostery's findings are zilch -haven't decided if that's good or bad- can't use smileys but other than that??

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Some websites use java. They're not that common. Some applications also use java. Java is targeted by a lot of exploits. This is a lot more common than it used to be. If you don't need it, you are farther ahead without it. If you do need java, you should only allow it on sites you trust and that you know require it.

On FireFox, SeaMonkey, Palemoon and related browsers, an easy way to enable/disable java on the fly is with PrefBar.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you are not sure whether you need Java or not, it is likely that you have no use for it. Only one site that I frequent uses it, and since I don't have any program that requires it, it was a good decision to get rid of it. If you have a program that requires it, it will let you know.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.