Java update causes Generic Host Win32 problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Stro, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

A bubble window from my Sun Java (2 Platform) icon in the system tray (bottom right) popped up saying there was an update available for download, and of course recommended I update Java for security reasons. The link led to C:\Program Files\Java\JRE 1.5.0\bin\jucheck.exe

I opened Firefox and clicked to update Java. The PC immediately popped up a window saying "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close." I clicked out of that window. My Windows XP SP2 PC seemed to run normally doing the normal email, internet access activities that night.

From that point, every time I booted the PC into Windows the "Generic Host Process from Win32" windows would come up. I searched on Google hoping to find a reason/solution, but without success.

Last night I finally restored a C: image I made 5 days previously with BootIt NG. When I booted back to the desktop, there was a Zone Alarm popup asking if I'd like to get Java permission to update. I clicked the option to always block this request.

My PC is back to normal now, but I'm bothered that I cannot update Java without getting the Generic Host Process error message. Has anyone else encountered this situation and found a remedy?

Thanks,
    Stro

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i haven't had the problem, but the generic host... is probably a dll needed to update java. you can disable java's automatic update by selecting java in the control panel then disabling the automatic update. if you do disable the automatic updating, try unblocking the process you blocked in your FW to see if it has made the problem go away.

the latest java version was 1.5_6 when i checked a day or so ago so you should go to the Sun site and manually update, then check once a month for other updates.

Version 5.0 Update 6 is still the latest version.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.