Java sun? - bk.com

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by surfbug, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfbug

surfbug Registered Member

I just bought the new dells computer. I looked at the burger king fast food site when I saw that BK LOGO JAVASCRIPT IS NOT AVAILABLE. BK.COM requires the use of JavaScript. Please upgrade your browser or enable JavaScript within your current web browser. I downloaded the Adobe flash player but it still doesn't work.I went to the java sun site I've java plug-in . Do I download the diffent javascipt from the java sun http://java.sun.com/
    What kind of java do I download it?

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Re: Java sun?

Javascript is not the same as Java.
    You should check the security settings of your browser.

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Would you happen to be using the extension NoScript for Firefox?

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The Java Runtime environment (JRE) is a Sun Microsystems program that is usually installed on many PCs to handle things like aplets on web pages. The current version is 5.0 Update 8

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jre/install.html

They also have program versions for those who want to create Java applications as well.

6. surfbug

I see only one java plug -in. Is it ok or no?
    Do you have 2 java program?

Attached Files:

• java.jpg
      java.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
  7. surfbug

I read from burger king that
    This site requires the Adobe Flash Player. Get Flash
    I downloaded the adobe flash player and installed but it still doesn't work?

8. surfbug

I use microsoft internet explorer 6.0

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If you are still getting the error "JAVASCRIPT IS NOT AVAILABLE." (see image below), then it is probably your Internet Explorer settings causing the problem. As said above, Javascript is not Java. And that site does not use Java.

One way to probably make it work would be to add bk.com to your IE trusted sites list via: IE's Tool menu > Internet Options... > Security tab > select the "Trusted sites" icon > then hit the "Sites..." button. Enter bk.com in the box and hit "Add". "OK" your way out. Close and restart your browser and try the site again.

The trusted zone in IE by default has Active Scripting enabled. If you haven't changed those settings, then having bk.com in there should get you past the Javascript error.

Attached Files:

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Java Script is not related to programs that use Flash. You should only have one Java program on your PC. If you ever replace the version, you should uninstall old versions BEFORE installing the new one. Otherwise, all versions will remain on the PC. Your problem is with the browser setting, not with the Flash or Java program.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No it isn't, you are corrent. However, that webpage does use javascript and if it is disabled (yes, by browser settings), then you will get the error shown in the image above.

A person can have a few different problems with that bk.com page. If javascript is not enabled in the person's browser settings, they get that javascript error. Once they enable javascript, the next likely error is that they don't have the current version on Adobe Flash installed. (The person above did have that problem, but installed that since, so that should be okay.) The next problem for "IE users only" is that Flash is implement via an ActiveX control, so just enabling active scripting alone in IE will not allow the page to load the flash animation if ActiveX controls are blocked. That's why I suggested using the IE trusted zone.

And as everyone agrees, none of this has anything to do with SUN Java. That page doesn't use Java.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

This thread contains reference to Flash, so I'll use that to ask the following:

Adobe has FlashPlayer & Shockwave, do you use both, or need just one, for all the neat stuff on the web?

Adobe Download Center - I cannot download (due to invisible yellow bar problem) these items, is there an alternative way to get Shock & Flash?

One site said I was using ver. 6 of Flash, if I can download from an alternative location, do old Shock & Flash need un-installing?

Adobe forum they do not respond, many other users complain of lack of response from them. Also Shock & Flash are not supported via phone or email support. Kind a like a "Catch 22" here.

T&TC (Thanks & Take Care)
    rico

13. surfbug

I clicked internet option and clicked on the trust site and added it. I went back to burger king site and saw the secuity warming. The current web page ttrying oopen the site in your trusted site. I clicked on it when I saw This site requires the Adobe Flash Player?
    Can anybody helping me again.

Is the netcape better than microsoft ?Can I use the netscape but can I still play all of games on-line

14. surfbug

Thanks a lot for helping me but I ununstalled the adobe flash player and I downloaded the newer version and it works corrrectly.

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The current Adobe Flash player program appears to be version 9. Some webpages update their code to be compatible with newer versions and then cause problems with those PCs that still have the old versions. Sort of annoying sometimes. :cautious:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Originally posted by surfbag

In my opinion, Netscape was a better browser back in the 1990's than Microsoft internet explorer. Microsoft then embedded their own browser into the Windows Operating System in an attempt to "corner" the browser market. You can still get the Netscape browser on the AOL website. However, I think the Mozilla Firefox browser is a better alternative to Internet Explorer. Just be aware that some webpages don't load properly with different browsers. It all depends on what type of code was used in constructing the webpage.

Originally posted by Rico

Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave are separate programs. You may need to download both depending on what webpages you access. The Flash player was created with the Flash program while Shockwave was created with the Director program (multimedia applications). I am not sure what you mean by an invisible yellow bar? (If it is invisible, how do you know it is yellow? o_O o_O :blink: :p :rolleyes: :D ) The current version of Flash is version 9 and Shockwave it is version 10.1. It is always better to uninstall old versions before replacing them with newer ones. Did you try the CNET Download site? A lot of programs can be downloaded there or at TUCOWS.COM as well.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15511

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15508#1

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/resources/integration/flash/quick_comparison.html

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

About Flash Player I know it is part of XP now( IE version).
    I use Opera so I installed the flash plugin from their site.
    However I have no idea about ShockWave. How can I have it for Opera( are there separate versions for IE and Opear like Flash)?
    Can U mention some sites that use ShockWaev instead of Flash? I was thinking Flash can play ShockWave as well. On my PC I have entery for flash in add/ remove but none for shockwave.

Thanks for help.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally posted by aigle

The Flash player is supported on several browser programs. Unfortunately, Adobe Shockwave is not supported on the Opera browser. You need IE or Netscape.

http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

I have seen Shockwave in use for generating animation videos on the Internet. Some are from actual films while others are computer generated.

http://www.khaaan.com/ (example of a flash player webpage)

No, Flash and Shockwave are too different types of programs. The lack of a Shockwave entry on your program list means that you don't have it installed.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, so shockwave works with FF?

19. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Ccsito,

Thank you for your reply! I've seen the yellow bar, many moons ago, actually its correct name is 'information bar.' I believe the information bar has something to do with active x. I've done just everything short of format & reinstall, to get this to work properly. Some other sites I have problems with include PCpitstop, Creative Labs has this auto check & update driver, F-secure online scan, driver agent. c o m, etc. The most recent effort to overcome the yellow bar blues, was clean uninstall of ZA. See

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=147437, post #5 this contains some of the attempts to get the yellow bar back.

I did try CNET download now, takes you to AdobeDownloadCenter, which requires the yellow bar & alternate download at CNET has no alternates.

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally posted by aigle

According to the Adobe site, they list IE versions 5 and 6 and Netscape version 7 as being compatible with Shockwave 10.1. I think the Firefox browser was based on the Netscape framework, but that does not guarantee that they work identically. You can try and see if FF will be able to access a shockwave webpage. You can use other browsers on one computer.

Originally posted by Rico

Thanks for clarifying the invisible yellow bar issue. I forgot that most other download sites will point back to the author's website for downloading programs. :gack:

Not sure if these links would help or not. One link is for Flash version 8.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html

http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/Macromedia_Flash_Player/4-500-1.html

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the yellow bar problem and hope that you find somehow to correct your system.

21. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

22. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Ccsito,

Your post for softwarepatch. c o m allowed me to download Flash 9.x, & of all the strange things the yellow bar appeared. I don't know for sure, but i believe all my one's & zero's have gone insane. You know the 0's alre all trouble makers.

Thanks & Take Care
    rico

PS I uninstalled old flash & installed new flash - then I saw captain Kirk! Many thanks

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

download teh shockwave setup for "netscape" and see if it installs for opera. when u install, it should say which browser(s) its installing on.
    http://gamescene.com/
    yes it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.