Java Quick Starter Service (jqs.exe)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ruinebabine, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I updated my pc today to the new Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10. Now that also automaticaly install this new service "JavaQuickStarterService" (jqs.exe), with no way to stop it other than manualy disabling the service (setting it to "manual" won't stop it after next system booting).

From http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/otherFeatures/jqs.html:

"Java Quick Starter (JQS) improves the initial startup time of Java applets and applications by periodically prefetching some of the most heavily used Java Runtime Environment files into memory (occupying no more than 20Mb of RAM). Later, when Java is launched, much less disk I/O is required and as a result, startup is much faster.

JQS is enabled by default in the Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems running on x86 (IA-32) or compatible hardware. It is turned off in Windows Vista because Windows Vista offers its own preloading mechanisms. When fully enabled, JQS runs as a Windows service called Java Quick Starter. The Task Manager shows a jqs.exe process.

The JQS service will perform runtime checks to determine if the system is running on battery power. If so, prefetching will be suspended until AC power is restored. This scenario is most common on laptop PCs.
    "

But from http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/i/jqs.exe.html:

"jqs.exe uses excessive system and memory resources with no corresponding benefit. Applications such as these should be disabled to improve overall system performance."

I tried to test it by switching on & off this service and it doesn't seem to majorly slowdown JRE fonctionality, but it could be because I tend to only sparsely use Java aplets in my web browser.

I would be interested to know your take on this java prefetching service.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw where did you get the final from? was it here? about half way down the page?
    i was trying the beta versions not long ago.
    its only on windows 2000 and xp the quick starter service. its not needed in vista since vista has its own precaching system.
    just disable it in the java control panel if you dont wanna use it.

btw if any one wants more info look here

btw another advantage of update 10 is hardware acceration using your graphics card.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

java.sun.com --> Popular downloads / Java SE ?

And yes, I too noticed that unpleasant addition.

4. ruinebabine

Yes, I took the notification from the Calendar of Updates, and actualy downloaded the file "jre-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe" from that same page that you mentioned above (I'm running windows XP).

I had looked for and missed this option in the Java cpl aplet, I see it now (last item in the Advanced tab). Thanks for this and the linked info!

5. psic88

psic88 Registered Member

Hey Iodine and Ruinedbabe. I joined this forum just to say thanks (you wouldn't know if I didn't, of course). I added that Java to my system and looking at the processor activity I realised there was something new going on about 4-5 times a minute and the cause was jqs.exe. I googled it and Lo and Behold! there is your thread telling where to go and what to do.
    You can imagine how pleased I was.
    Thanks again.

6. ruinebabine

Well, not really ruined (for now), this nickname was derived from musical rooting (look for Brokenjoe!) actually... :)

Welcome to Wilders, and thanks to having took the time to join in and write your post in this thread as you did.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Stupid service I just installed the latest version today to notice this thing running in the background.

Java Quick Starter:

Prefetches JRE files for faster startup of Java applets and applications

Well I don't know about Sun, but I don't need more things running in the background, and I certainly didn't see any problems with the way Java ran before without this crap!

I don't know about you guys but I'm heading to Sun to send an email and BITCH! :thumbd:

8. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

Oh yeah!
    That's it!
    I sent a 'nice' e-mail, too!

9. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I agree about not needing another service, but at least it is easily disabled and removed. Just go to Control Panel>Java>Advanced>Miscellaneous and untick Java Quick Starter. Click OK and reboot. That removed the service and process on my system anyway.

10. mpdooley

mpdooley Registered Member

Well appears that the e-mails did not accomplish much with Sun.

Seems that the current download continues to have issues.

My logs for update show:
    11/15/2008 07:20 PM - Updated system to Sun Java Runtime Environment - (Version 6 Update 10) - Version 1.6.0_10.

and I have had at least 3 or 4 occasions since then when the resource hog took over until I killed or stopped it.

Usually I notice this shortly after bootup.

Curiously there is only one reference to this program in their Developers Forum.

Seems Sun staff and developers are simply unaware that this "addon" can periodically consume over 90% of the Kernel Memory resources on a user system.

and yes I did also pass along my concerns to Sun today.

That also will likely do not good.........but I tried......LOL

11. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Seems I remember hearing a bit of news that a massive down-sizing was occurring at Sun. This software addition may be a bit low on their priority list for now.

Thanks to this Forum (Lodore in particular in my case) the annoying addition as been dealt with. Just wonder how many less knowledgeable users are suffering because of it?

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

No problem. you helped me in the past.
    im sure it would of affected alot of users and hope sun sort out the problem asap.

13. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

Thanks to Firebytes for the tip.

14. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I disabled the quick starter too. Not only is it a resource hog, but I didn't see even a hint of speed improvement over the applet-caching thing which has been around for ages.

(Edit, an after-thought) Anyone know if, in the process of "improving" the RTE, Sun stunningly made the new quick starter and the caching conflict with each other? Possibly you'll get some improvement with one OR the other, but the two don't work well together?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  15. Firebytes

Glad to be of some help.

16. Onmyown

Onmyown Registered Member

Thank You! It was driving me crazy and eating up my old desktop's RAM. I need my computer to work right for my office, or else. Until budget allows for a new PC, this forum is a savior. I will look for other useless apps which may be eating up RAM.

Any suggestions?

17. Chris1955

Chris1955 Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info here. I've just disabled it and noticed a detail which might be useful to some people:

If you try to disable jqs using Control Panel but find Java Quick Starter is not listed under Miscellaneous - you need to log in with Admin rights.

18. Firebytes

Don't forget if you have disabled automatic Java updates to be sure that the Java update scheduler got removed from your startup items.

19. Firebytes

Sorry, I just saw your post so maybe a very late reply but anyway...

If you aren't sure which apps that start with your system are really needed you can get info on them here so you can make an informed decision on what to disable or you could run StartUpLite (from the makers of MBAM) which will identify and disable many useless startups for you.

20. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

My ALL favorites 6 links for startup & services adjustments:

* EXTREMETECH: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1786006,00.asp

* GOVERNMENTSECURITY: http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1480

* BEEMEWORLD: http://beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

* TECHENCLAVE: http://www.techenclave.com/guides-a...p-services-tweak-collection-tweaks-31250.html

* PEART.UCS.INDIANA.EDU: http://peart.ucs.indiana.edu/docs/tweak_windowsXP_services.html

* BLACKVIPER: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Provided that this helps!
    And what a pleasure to destroy ... the superfluous.

Yeah!

P:thumb:

21. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

... and in HiJackThis: I deleted: 02 - BHO - ... jqs_plugin.dll !!!

Well, my IE7 is more more quickly:argh:

More ... Mostly wilderssecurity.com .

P:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.