Java Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

This morning I updated JAVA to 6 update2. Now on my computer I have JAVA 6, 88 mbs. JAVA 6 update 1, 134 mbs. and JAVA 6 update 2, 111 mbs. Can I delete the older versions?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, Sun just uses stupid naming calling it updates, because they are not, every new version JRE is a standalone JRE.
    In fact having more than one version could cause compatibility problems, it is like having 3 versions of a media player.
    Having more versions is usefull for a software developers, so they can test their software in different JRE enviroments.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

It's not only a compatiblitiy problem but a security issue: Malware can misuse older Java versions if they have security leaks. That's why it is important to always deinstall older Java versions.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thank you for the replies.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I had 5 lines in my Add/Remove Programs Screen with Java and Java was bugging me all the time for installing its update.
    So I downloaded the latest version of Java myself.

01. I disconnected from the internet.
    02. I disabled Anti-Executable.
    03. I disabled DefenseWall
    04. I unfreezed my frozen snapshot
    05. I removed all 5 lines one by one and from top to bottom.
    06. I ran Total Uninstall to remove the leftovers, which was necessary.
    07. I installed the latest version of Sun JRE, using Total Uninstall + Reboot
    08. I enabled Anti-Executable
    09. I freezed my snapshot again.
    10. I reconnected to the internet to write this post.

Now, I have only one line in my Add/Remove Program Screen with Java and Java stopped bugging me.

If it isn't the activation, than it's the updating, but all these softwares think they are the only software in the world and they want constantly attention of the user like children. :rolleyes:

That's why I like my off-line snapshot so much, no bugging, absolute silence, total concentration to do my job. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.