Java Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MetalDemon, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you tried updating from the control panel.
    Click update now in the java console and see what happens.

2. MetalDemon

MetalDemon Registered Member

well,restarting my firewall seems to have done the trick, ill keep testing it out, thanks a lot... that is a weird solution but whatever works :)

edit: wen i checked for updates, it said that i have the latest version

3. METAL

unlikely its a KAV issue........the website does do a hugh amount of scanning...slows things down alot....it also has an abnormal amount of re-dir....other than that......java not needed..active x not needed...cookies not needed....................was able to begin the download without a problem......just took awhile getting through the scans and re-dir.

4. MetalDemon

well actually i restarted my Zone Alarm, i forgot to mention that that was my firewall.

5. *******well,restarting my firewall seems to have done the trick******

No reason you should have to turn off your firewall....ABSOLUTELY NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!

6. MetalDemon

"No reason you should have to turn off your firewall....ABSOLUTELY NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!"

i would think so too, but right now ive tested teh java and it seems to be working so far. and i wont do it again. I promise :).

7. METAL

Please understand that I was not trying to be a "smarty".....thats not my style..........instead, was suggesting that you may have a "problem" somewhere that needs correcting.......no way Zone Alarm should have prevented you from downloading on that one particular website...

glad you was able to get the program.......

8. MetalDemon

thanks a lot for everybody's helpful help, it helps :)

the problem was not actually on one particular website, because after i downloaded the program, it was still giving me red xs (on all sites using java) but then those went away after restarting ZA. Again, thanks for everybody's help

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Glad it is working for you.

10. backroad

backroad Guest

I'm having sorta the same problem but I'm trying to download it for Firefox.

Here's the download page I'm going to. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

When I goto the page and choose the "Windows offline installation" download, it will download but when I try to open it I get this error C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\j2re-1_4_2_05-windows-i586-p-1.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

And if I check the properties of the downloaded program it says zero bytes.

I tried to download it with IE and Firefox makes no difference, it won't download it right.

I also tried to disable my firewall real quick to try a download but it makes no difference. I am using Windows ME with NPF 2003.

I noticed on the site it says some ad-blocking software could cause a problem when downloading but the only ad-blocking software I have is in NPF and I already tried to disable that and it still won't download properly.

I'm not sure but I was thinking could it possibly be IESpyad? I have this installed too but I didn't think it was classified as an ad-blocker.

Also have SpywareBlaster, Tea Timer, and WinPatrol but disabling them doesn't seem to help.

As for restarting my firewall as MetalDemon did, I'm not sure how to do that with NPF. Do I just restart my computer?

I wish I could figure out this problem. I have no other problems downloading anything from any other sites and never have. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks very much for any help.

11. Back road

The link you provided.........am not sure about it....a quick check of the download showed a 1.38 MB download file.....(the java file is actually around 14MB......if I recall correctly) Would suggest that you forget about that download site.......an go to the other links posted instead.

One thing.....as stated to METAL...there should be no need for you to disable your firewall......plus, doing so is just plain bad practice that should be avoided.......no program made is worth that......contact the vendor if need be for instructions.

as to your problems.....its not iespyad....but if you think that it is just "allow" downloads in the restricted zone....but remember..if that was the issue...a screen would have poped up saying that your setting would not allow the download........
    other than numerous re-directs....nothing special about that website...an you should not be having this issue....but you are obviously......will give this some thought....right now I am at a lost on what to tell you.......sorry I could be of help.....hopefully someone else can be...

12. BackRoad

Here is the link to sun java website: look at the upper right for the "popular Downloads"

http://java.sun.com/

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

TheSnowMan Guy:

BackRoad's link is legit, it is the download site you are directed to, if you use the "free Java link" on www.sun.com . If one chooses the "offline installation link" it's a 14.9mb download, if you choose the "installation link" it's a 1.35mb and that one in my experience often ends badly.
    Why the download goes bad i don't know i have used it often in the past and as long as i choose "offline" i haven't had a problem, perhaps a temporary problem (corrupted file?) BTW. I agree, you should not need to disable your firewall. :)

Regards

14. DON

Nice job there....you posted some great info that may save others some real confusion................

Have a real swell day

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Just trying to help the little that i can. ;) :)
    You too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.