Java Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MetalDemon, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetalDemon

MetalDemon Registered Member

I dont know if this is in the right forum, if it isn't im sorry, but my problem is that i cannot get java. I went onto the Sun Java website, but first it would give me an error when i tried downloading the program automatically, and then when i tried manually downloading, it would say I am forbidden from downloading it. Is there any way to solve this problem?

I have Win XP Home SP2 and use IE.

Thanks in advance.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. MetalDemon

yes, but i think i found the problem, IE was blocking something, its installing now, but ill soon see if it worked.

4. Ron

Really nice of you to post that link...however, if I may respectfully advise....that an older version..........been upgraded for sometime......hmmmmmmmmm.....see what you think:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi Snowy

I tried that version and didn't like the control panel plugin. I went back to the version in the link above.

Just my preference.

6. MetalDemon

it installed good, but when i went to test it out, it gives me a red x with the error that "loading java applet failed..." This was the reason that i originally tried to reinstall the applet. Any suggestions?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. MetalDemon

i have Java 2 Platform Standard Edition Version 1.4.2_05 (build 1.4.2_05-b04). When I try to get a later version, sicne there's no automated installation as far as i can tell, i ahve to get it manually, but when i click to download it, i get the error message: You are not authorized to view this page.

9. Ron

actually I don't like the control panel plugin either.....an only moved to this version due to the other having a "hole"............if the truth be known..I just plain don't like sun java anymore....use to....but no longer.....may even go back to M$ java....its in-secure.....but there are work-arounds..plus, rarely do I use java....can't stand it.....applets especially....an that what I mostly use...may just decide to install and un-install on a "as need" useage

mush of my system is non-M$......replaced it back to M$..an don't like the results............fortunately my time to use computers nearing an end....

10. METAL....did you accept the "agreement" before trying to download

11. MetalDemon

yes, i pressed accept and it sent me to the download page, i tried both options, for downloading immediately and offline. Same result both times.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Snowy

I have one game I like to play on my computer and it is java based. Otherwise, I keep it turned off.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When i went to install sun java it would not download and I fought that for about three hours. As a last resort I disabled process guard and my firewall and it downloaded, go figure. I don't know why but it worked that time.

15. RON

Good gosh......darn if I didn't forget the VM can be turned off......man I must be getting slow-minded these days........("snowman bows his chilly silly head in humilty)

16. bigc73542

We all have lapses of memory now and again :D ;)

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Sounds like a glitch in the force BigC....... :D

GF

18. bigc73542

eating cabbage can cause it :D ;)

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Snowy
    I have the same problem depending on what day it is. :)

20. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

amongst other things.:eek:

Hello MetalDemon, long time no see. Hope we can get it all straightened out here.:)

snowbound

21. ahhhhhh..you guys are very kind.......hmmmmmmm...cabage huh.,..,.,but wait a second...I just remembered..I took a left turn on the way home from the super market.....hey, I don't live in Ohio.....no wonder I am out of gas........oh oh....an I don't own a Ford....

22. snowbound

Nice.:D

Anymore thoughts on MetalDemon's problem Snowy?

snowbound

23. SnowBound

Now that was downright diplomatic.....got to really respect your style....

Well..Metal really hasn't said much.....there is no problem with the links......waiting to hear from metal

24. MetalDemon

hey Snowbound.
    sorry, ive tried again, but to no avail. I don't know wat could be causing the trouble. I remember back to about two or three weeks ago, the java was working fine, but then i tried using the same thing again a couple of days later, and it stopped working. I don't remember changing anything in that time. Could it be a firewall or antivirus problem? I have Kaspersky AV Personal.

25. snowbound

Did u view Bigc's comments above? :rolleyes:

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.