Java or not to Java

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by phasechange, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi!

I've uninstalled the MS JVM and installed the Sun one. I have disabled Java in Firefox but not IE. Question: I don't have a huge need for Java, I mainly use it for the odd scan with Trend Housecall (online scanner), should I uninstall Sun JVM to improve the security of my PC?

How risky is the Sun JVM? I got rid of the MS one coz I don't trust it.

Thanks,
    Fairy

PS- Sorry I reckon I've posted this in the wrong group o_O

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nah....it seemed to have found a nice Home now :)

IMO....no more riskier than MS VM....but I'm one of those that still has faith\trust in the Security of Microsoft technology.

As a side note in relation to IE....Trend Micro uses an ActiveX Control and Active script....or what some users refer to as Java script. The Java your referring to is Sun's JVM Java applet....which is mistaken by some when referring to Java script.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Just install latest version and allow Java and Javascript in Firefox.
    Biggest problem with MS JV VM is the licensing. MS no longer actively supports it, so any new development is in Sun's version only.

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Thanks

If MS are no longer actively updating their JVM (and CoolWebSearch uses an exploit in it) does that not make it riskier?

That used to be the case. If you try Housecall now it seams to use Java not JavaScript or ActiveScript. Have a look and explain to me if I am wrong?

Thanks,
    Fairy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.