JAVA for yahoo backgammon?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Microsoft no longer supports JAVA (vjm) for xp...

i like playing backgammon on yahoo!, and their site recommended downloading Sun's java....and i did. It does work, sort of, but the old java worked better. does anyone happen to know what version would be best for loading java applets for yahoo games?

I suppose maybe the old java is on my XP CD, could it be reinstalled, w/o reinstalling XP completely?

(the sun version just does not seem to reset itself unless you completely exit ie6 and then restart it...)

I just don't like the idea of backwards progress in the way something works

- HandsOff!

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I'll agree with you that the Sun product isn't anywhere near as smooth-running and reliable as the good old MS virtual machine. Alas, until the Sun/MS legal battle is resolved, and maybe permanently, Sun is all you can get legally.

Sorry, let me qualify that -- check with your dealer. Like older versions of Win, they also still have the legal right to have and re-install the VM for repair purposes.

The one nice thing about Sun Java, if they could just get the bugs out of the rest of it, is its ability to cache applets.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can download ms virtual machine at the link.version 3805 for95, 98, 98se,nt4.0 , me, xp

http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Mike, and BigC,

Both advices were good. I was indeed able to to download the jvm version 3802 from my computer manufacturer. they consider it bundled software of the miscellanious kind.

Big C - that site that you had me link to had versions that looked like they were installations but, would in fact, run only as upgrades. That is the sort of thing that just a couple of words had they provided, would have saved me a lot of confusion, however, the good news is that after i insalled 3802, i was able to use it to upgrade to 3810 with it, so it's all good.

and...it works!

thanks again!

-HandOff

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

At least you are in business again ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.