Java and Financial Sites

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by rrrh1, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

I was wondering do or would you install Java to access your 401k website or your work site knowing how insecure Java is ?

If this should be elsewhere please relocate.

rrrh1 (arch1)

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Did your 401K Website and your Work Website request the Java Install?
    Or are you asking if one would Install Java on their computer then log onto the Internet and visit such Sites?

If your 401K Website and or your Work Website requested that you Install Java upon visiting those Sites, then
    perhaps those Websites need Java to funtion properly.....

However, I would not Install Java from those Websites or any other Website other than from the Orginal Java Website.

ANSWER:
    If your 401K Website and your Work Website funtion sufficiently to satisfy your needs there without Java Installed,
    then my answer is: NO I would not Install Java at all.

If your 401K Website and Your Work Website absolutely neen Java Installed to funtion properly,
    then my answer is: YES I would Install Java first from the Orginal Java Website. Then I would step through the
    Java Options and Disable Automatic Updates and anything else I did not feel comfortable with.

One can also Disable Java entirely from the Java Options Menu if desired.

Orginal Java Website:
    -http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

HKEY1952

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's pretty simple, you either use Java for the websites that force it, or you don't use those websites. Financial websites are the last places that should be using it, but old habits die hard and site admins/developers tend to be a rather lazy sort when they're allowed to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.