Java: A Gift to Exploit Pack Makers

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/10/java-a-gift-to-exploit-pack-makers/:

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I can confirm the proliferation of Java exploits in the Exploit kits used on many malware sites.

The BLADE-Defender database of malware URLS contains many that serve up exploits from a kit. Here is one:

mbr.gif

As with PDF and FLASH exploits, the Plug-ins are being targeted, not the browser, so all browsers would seem to be potentially vulnerable to being used to trigger Java exploits.

----
    rich

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Good advice, as nearly everybody i know, including me, have no use for it :thumbd:

Most people wouldn't even know what it is, or if they do need it, or how to get rid of it, or what the dangers are :(

You would think i BIG company like SUN would have got their act together on java insecurities by now, but nope :( Same goes for Adobe, but at least they are supposedly going to sandbox it in a future release. Having said that, isn't java "supposed" to sandboxed ? if it is it's not working very well :D

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Oracle's problem now. :ouch:

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I haven't installed Java, and infact, I've been removing Java from machines for little over a year now.

7. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I tried to install Java Se 6 without browser plug-ins using command line options. Doesn't work for the following reason:
    Source: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/silent-136552.html

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Doesn't disabling the plug-in in the browser remove it from being exploited remotely?

----
    rich

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You're lucky. I have some sites that absolutely require Java :eek:

Even Open Office requires Java if one wants to run even the most elementary Calc macro. I hope the Libre Office chaps will find a way to exclude any dependence on Java. (They do have some motivation ;) )

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Wouldn't disabling Java globally in the browser, and enabling per site, remove the remote code execution possibility from malicious sites?

----
    rich

11. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

It does, but my point is that instead of being able to choose if I want to prevent these plug-ins from being installed it's now mandatory.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Saw this today and just decided to give up and remove Java from all of my machines.The only thing I have seen try to use it in forever was an online security test that was using it to try to steal my internal IP address.

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I understand.

thanks,

rich

14. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've been Java-free for nearly 2 years now but pretty recently, I had to install it since I needed to access my National Service site, no other choices. However, once done, I've disabled the plug-ins from the browser since I don't need them in my day-to-day browsing. And I've kept the installed version up-to-date. I can see why it's a necessity for others though so removing it entirely isn't entirely a choice for them - let's be fair guys;)

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Also, Java automatically checks for updates. The user doesn't have to manually check and happen to forget about it.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That is easily turned off. Those, without major memory problems, who monitor sites such as Wilders don't need to keep the Java updater on auto.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was only commenting about one part of the quote in the first post

How will it fail to keep up with updates, if it automatically checks for updates?

You also have Secunia PSI which will verify it (not only Java, of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.